DKM Bismarck Rib set [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Free Plans Discussion' started by darkapollo, May 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

darkapollo submitted a new resource:

DKM Bismarck Rib set - Complete rib set to build a 1:144 scale Bismarck

Read more about this resource...

Xanthar likes this.
  2. OverThinker

OverThinker Member

this looks really amazing but could you please explain the differences between a STEP file and an STL file? i ask because i'm nearly computer illiterate when it comes to this stuff and i run my STL files to Cura and then to my printer.-Thanks

3. darkapollo

I sure can!

An STL is, in its purest form, a text document containing triangle points that make up the face of an object. An STL ‘body’ is hollow. (Try it! Open an STL with notepad! You will see X4.346Y56.987Z100.528 which marks the coordinates of one corner of one triangle on the face of an object)

A STEP file is a solid body that CAD programs can open to provide a ready editable document. It contains all of the coordinates to create a solid body. If you open an STL in a CAD program it will display all of the triangles that make up the face. You would need to convert it to a solid in order to properly edit them. A STEP is already solid and can be directly edited by most CAD programs (such as Fusion 360, SolidWorks, and FreeCAD)

If you were to 3D print the pieces, you would need to do some ‘finish’ work first to customize them to your needs. Such as adding holes for the prop shafts (everyone uses different size shafts and prop angle so instead of me adding them, it is best for the individual to decide where and what they need), adding brackets for servos or motors, etc. Then export them as an STL. I also left the center prop area ‘unlofted’ for this very reason. It wouldnt make sense for me to model it to fit my set up when someone else might want to use a larger prop or different prop angle.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Evan Fowler likes this.
  4. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

darkapollo,

Looking at the sub deck and the assembly you show, do I need to cut out the bow sub deck so the ribs fit. bow.png

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  5. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Probably bend it a little so it's got a nice shear line. Scoring it will probably help.

6. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

There is no way the bow sub deck will fit on the frames the way it is shown. Either the deck is to large or the frames to small. Even if the sub deck were to sit on top of the frames, then the frames are small. Don't know.????????????????????????????

7. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

That's because the way it is shown is an approximation : ) The subdeck would need to be gently bent up at the bow and stern. If you import the files into your cad program of choice (or print them on paper) and arrange them properly, you'll see what I mean.

8. darkapollo

Yes… it will. It is wood.
    If I had made the model ‘curve’ to fit correctly, laying the piece out in CAM or printing on paper would be more of a chore. Making it ‘flat pack’ means all one has to do is set it up in CAM or print the proper outline.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  9. Selley

Selley Active Member

the Bismarck is my fourth planned ship, be looking forward to start with these files

10. darkapollo

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.