Fast Gun Texas--Operational

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Anvil_x, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks. I'll be in a similar boat once I get to WI. I'll probably just order in bulk when that time comes.

from what I can tell, the tissue paper will be a lot less stronger, so all it will mean is that the sheeting will get beaten to crap faster. I'm cool with that though. as long as she can hold water out, and pass the penetrability test, I'll roll with weaker panels for my first season.

Though I imagine the bb holes will be more likely to splinter and shatter the balsa sheeting, in which case, I'll have to replace the panels anyways. so let's put some bb holes in them first!

2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

If you are battling like a noob, you may need to resheet after just one battle. So I wouldnt sweat it too much.

3. Anvil_x

*Hold my beer, I'mma make a fool of myself* sounds like a good excuse to re-sheet.

4. Anvil_x

It'd be funny if PPB was blood-in blood-out and your first fight is the whole club coming after you. that'd be a good reason to re-sheet

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Enough bravado and big talk in the pits can easily bring about events that will require a re-sheet on your part. ;)

kgaigalas and rcaircraftnut like this.
  6. Anvil_x

I'd hope so. I'm too self deprecating to go that route. But it would be super funny to see how long the boat would last when literally everybody's trying to shoot it.

7. rcaircraftnut

Pretty much been there. Lol. Everyone wanted to see holes in the Montana its first day out. Lol. However. It didnt get as many as it should have.

Anvil_x likes this.
  8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Quipping that you didn't get many holes the last sortie is a good way to bring down the horde too. :D

9. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The most you can realistically get is four boats attacking at the same time, anything more than 2 and the attackers usually will get in each other's way (though you will still suffer). At 28 seconds you wouldn't be able to even try to get away. At 2016 Nats I fought on the axis side (2:1 allies to axis, good allied captains) and lasted about 7:30 in each of the two battles, surrounded by 3-5 allies. My boat kind of sucked and the captain kind of sucked. One of the more memorable quotes I recall is one of the attacker's telling his son to 'come over here and shoot him before he sinks.' Still a good time. People are usually nice to rookies to improve retention rates, they might give you some courtesy shots just to get your heart rate up, but you shouldn't get pounded until you prove that you boat doesn't sink or burst into flames on its own.

10. rcaircraftnut

Thats the problem. They figured out really quick that I build reliable boats that flat out work. It was no quarter by the second day in my first battle. Lol.

11. Anvil_x

well now you've got me super-stoked to get down to the southlands. I skinned most of the port side last night, and I'll do a step-by-step on the upper casemate foundation when I do it tonight.
    I threw on the camo paint on the stbd side out of boredom, and it looks pretty good. just have to wait until I can get some unfrozen water now to find the waterline and paint the red and waterline on.

P2070034.JPG

WillCover and rcaircraftnut like this.
  12. rcaircraftnut

Lookin good. Not far to go now.

13. Anvil_x

How'd that go btw? is the MT the same class as the IA in Treaty? seems like you'd get another gun with that additional turret, especially since that thing is slower than the IA

14. rcaircraftnut

Sold it. Been kicking myself since. Yeah it was I think 7.5 units. I armed bow twin sidemounts and a dual stern with a 2 unit pump and had a field day as that ship can out turn destroyers. If your slower your meat.

15. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

It isn’t. Lol. It is an empty shell

16. Anvil_x

Sad!

I've got the boat completely skinned and painted, just waiting on the guns and transmitter to go any further

buttsakauf likes this.
  17. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Yep. I will build it eventually. I am from Texas and had to have one. I have a shelf full of hulls that are must build favorites. I will probably build and keep them all till I give them away to deserving folks or I die.
    Right now active duty Navy, online college courses, small kids, old cars (my daily is a 1989 Crown Vic wagon with 70k miles... total survivor), and aquariums (my current other hobby) are beating out ships for my time.

WillCover likes this.
  18. Anvil_x

Yeah that's understandable. I imagine once I get down to Wisconsin in April that I'll be distracted with house hunting and other such tomfoolery. Now's a pretty good time for me to get everything knocked out, so fingers crossed, I'll have minimal work to do boatwise by the time I get to WI and be able to get on the water this spring

rcaircraftnut and buttsakauf like this.
  19. Anvil_x

GUNS GUNS GUNS!!!!!

just got the kit in from Strike this weekend and have the dual sterns mounted. Will post pics later this week once I get them fully seated and the mags bent into shape. I shaped the forward sidemount magazine last night, and will work on that mount tomorrow. last one in will be my haymaker. I'm looking at how to wind that mag around... it's going to be a bit complicated, something akin to @Kevin P. 's Agincourt--but messier and less competent. I'm going to keep pics of the spaghetti stern of the gin palace as a general guide and see how it flies.

looking forward to input once you guys see pics of the mounts. just a little busy right now getting ready to move. tomorrow, I meet with the surveyor from the moving company, and finalize my ferry ride to Lower America.

rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  20. Anvil_x

mounting photos. I didn't realize I forgot to get pics of the gin palace spaghetti monster in place. I'll post those later
    Aft deck plate.
    P2270071.JPG
    B turret.
    P2270072.JPG
    B turret
    P2270073.JPG

Duals and haymaker in place. it was a pain to get dialled in on the haymaker. and I am sure that the Port Polar Bear folks will help me fix whatever I screwed up once I manage to get down there
    P2270074.JPG
    P2270075.JPG
    P2270076.JPG
    P2270077.JPG
    P2270079.JPG

I'll be taking them out to run a protective coating over them before too long, and left enough wiggle in the mounts to fit the covering.
    I'll post better pics later. also, I adjusted some more down el in the Haymaker after this photo.

bsgkid117 and Beaver like this.