Rookie Shopping Guide

Discussion in 'General' started by bsgkid117, Jul 21, 2020.

1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Well-Known Member

I wanted to create a spreadsheet where we could compile the "best buys" for newer people in the hobby. Cheap yet decent radios, servos, chargers, etc. The stuff that they can't just buy at Battler's Connection.

I'd really love for this to get stickied (@NickMyers ?) and we could all make suggestions/changes to it as we find new deals. Who knows, maybe even some veterans will find a better/cheaper way to do things.

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a7FQq1y3EPAM6XklvTtPofow3XURP7v-FswS2FU0ltM/edit?usp=sharing

2. Zentica

Zentica New Member

OMG Thank you so MUCH!!! This is what I needed!!!

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

sure

4. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

Not sure if you want to put it on the list, But I am using the Hobbywing 880 ESC. It's like $32. Comes with dual motor connectors and is 2-4s lipo capable. For a rookie that may not have the best soldering skills, needs help soldering, or just doesnt have the proper tools to solder, it would be nice to use with dual motor ships with presolder leads on the motors. Just hook one up backwards from the other and now the motors rotate opposite, if sticking with motor bullets.

(Just want to be clear I am not saying they shouldn't learn to solder, but if they cant or arent very good at it, and wanted an alternative to having to wire up a parallel adapter that also reverses the rotation of one motor, it does male things much easier to deal with. I feel like if I didn't put this, someone somewhere would have a problem with my statement about a rookie not soldering tonstart out with)

On another note, I'm glad you have mentioned the Flysky and Turnigy I6 together. I've mentioned it a few times on the forums that they are the same, but it seems some do not realize that and only look and suggest to look for the Turnigy brand. I just point out that the Flysky is the same, and is sometimes cheaper to buy than the Turnigy. I've also seen a few other brands that have used the same transmitter rebtanded as their own, but they are usually a part of the RC model they are sold with, not available as seperate standalone transmitter/reciever combo.

Also for chargers, my dad has this one for his RC trucks and really likes it. $50 and has pretty good specs. They also sell this one at the racetrack near me, and quite a few of the regulars there have one.

I've been eyeballing the Hitec mini charger to replace my old Onyx dual charger, that only chargers and balances lipos (as the Onyx does not have storage mode, have to go old school and run them down to storage voltage.) $80 for a dual charger and 4s capable. I like it for the built in balance plug, no need for am extra hook up floppy dangly bit hanging around. I think it's a good alternative to the duo. Doesnt charge as fast (5a vs 7) and doesn't charge 5 or 6s lipos though, but it should be pretty good for the money saved. Especially for someone like myself who runs 3s lipos in parallel.

5. Brosiedon

Brosiedon New Member

Newbie question regarding HobbyKing. Is it normal for them to have several of these items on Backorder or even No Eta?

I’m so used to Amazon (as I’m sure several are) so was curious if the suggestion is to buy your equipment whenever they are available rather than waiting.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Well-Known Member

Yes lots of items will be out of stock or backordered. I normally buy multiples whenever they're in stock.

Most of this stuff you can also find on Amazon. If you need alternatives, contact me and we'll figure it out.

I know the IA6 radio and Hobbywing ESCs you can get on Amazon. Same with certain LiPO batteries but they're more expensive than HobbyKing. For an alternate servo I use the "20kg" aluminum waterproof servos on Amazon, can get them for $14 each and they're mostly waterproof.