Scharnhorst Class hull [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Free Plans Discussion' started by darkapollo, Mar 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

darkapollo submitted a new resource:

Scharnhorst Class hull - Solid model of the Scharnhorst Class

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking I've got enough ships in my garage, and then this madlad posts a pre-made model of my favorite ship of all time...

darkapollo likes this.
  3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Wonderful job on that I may have to add yet another unfinished project to the giant ever growing projects list.... This or tone, this or tone.... Time to go find another 8 hours.in the day...

darkapollo likes this.
  4. darkapollo

I intend to do a full "print a ship" with all of the parts for the Schanrhorst class. Both versions of the super structure (the Gneisenau had several visual differences) and everything already laid out so it could just be printed and assembled.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  5. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Very nice work and a very cool project. Join us in the ranks of those with 3d printed ships that have seen battle.

I would carve spots in your eventual 3dp hull for reinforcing rods to run as far down the length as possible, both on the bottom and along the subdeck edge. Best orientation for strength would be tower style, that way your ribs end up with the layers long ways. This of course moves the weak point to the subdeck, but I haven't had a ton of issues with subdeck cracking. With reinforcing rods in key locations + a layer of glass and epoxy over all exterior surfaces you will have a very sturdy boat, no less strong than a fiberglass or wood hull, and no fear of rot like a wood hull.

If designed properly, you can incorporate basically everything into the hull print. Water channeling, component locations, battery compartments, rudder mount, shaft struts, etc etc.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would certainly be interested in printing a Scharnhorst or Gneisenau. Maybe include patterns to laser-cut the deck, too? If you're interested in a team-up, I'm just about done debugging my 3d-printed cannon design so I may draw up a custom cannon setup for a Scharnhorst. A triple cannon assembly should be quite easy, and I also have a 1.5-unit cannon model that I can update as well.

7. darkapollo

All in the works for when I release the print-a-ship series That will include everything a captain will need to go from nothing to a read to float hull that just needs guts to battle.

This model is just for those DIYers who maybe want to create a fiberglass mold or have a good base to create their own fully printed ship. I am building both ships of the class for my sons and I intended to use this to make a fiberglass hull mold. I figured I would share it out to the community so others could do the same.

I just started on individual ribs to make a ‘flat pack’ which can be used to laser cut, CNC, or print.

I will never turn down a collaboration.

8. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what software you used to draw this?

9. darkapollo

Fusion360. It is where I do all of my CAD work.

10. Devasen

Devasen Active Member

I'm working on Prinz Eugen as a print-a-ship as well. Let's do some collaborating on the AA guns, as they should be shared throughout all the German WWII ships. I have super detailed stl models of twin 10.5cm, twin 3.7cm, Bofors 4cm, twin and quad 2cm mounts. They are not at all optimized for 3d printing, at least at our scale. They are however really good starting points for our purposes. Let me know if you want them and I'll post them.

darkapollo likes this.
  11. darkapollo

The PE was going to be my 3rd after I finish my Bismarck so I am eagerly looking forward to this!

I think the twin 10.5’s would be as small as feasible in our scale on an FDM. I have an SLA printer as well so I can go smaller than most, but those tiny details or incredibly thin parts like on a scale 40 quad will be lost on an FDM style.

12. Devasen

Devasen Active Member

Yeah, probably I'm going to make just some rather basic mounts and gun shields for the light AA. Fine wire may have to do for the barrels to look anything close to scale. Some of the details they can get on the 1/200 scale Trumpeter kits is phenomenal, but it's mostly out of brass sheet. It would be nice for "dress" but removed before our types of battles.

13. darkapollo

As an example of what can be done with just this STEP file. This was about 2 hours of fiddling around. Custom ribs can be easily made by cutting a section, creating a sketch, projecting the outline and then offsetting the outline to how ever thick you want the ribs to be. In this case I offset them 10mm. I then used those sketches to loft cut the rib and water channel in one go. upload_2021-3-31_14-25-46.png upload_2021-3-31_14-32-11.png

14. Devasen

Devasen Active Member

Prinz Eugen Keel pic.JPG

I'm working on the keel and rib layout for Prinz Eugen at the moment, I can't get much done until the weekend. Silly work ;)

Xanthar, Nibbles1 and darkapollo like this.
  15. Devasen

Devasen Active Member

Aigle progress 1.JPG

FN Aigle is coming along quite nicely though.

Xanthar and Nibbles1 like this.
  16. Devasen

Devasen Active Member

10.5cm twin.JPG

Yeah, at less than 2" long this would be a bit too much detail. I'll pare it down and upload something more easily printable.

darkapollo likes this.
  17. darkapollo

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.