SMS Gneisenau (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by absolutek, May 13, 2013.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

This is my "other" Gneisenau. This is the ship I will be taking to the MWCI Southeast Spring Regional & IRCWCC nats this year. Picture below shows the deck/subdeck dry fitted into the hull. It was a bit of a pain trying to get it to fit properly, this is the first ship I've tackled (from scratch) that has had casements.

2013-01-27 21.49.36.jpg
    Prop shaft & rudder installed.
    2013-01-31 23.24.46.jpg

Deck/Subdeck cut & glued together, ready to go into hull.
    2013-02-08 20.03.39.jpg
    Interior shot of rudder post, propshaft & gearbox glued into hull. In retrospect, the propshaft was a little too long, if I ever do a refit on this ship, I would like it about 2" shorter.
    2013-02-08 20.03.56.jpg
    Subdeck/deck assembly glued into hull.
    2013-02-11 01.02.24.jpg

I was determined to use gears for steering, and this is what I came up with. The first gear is attached to the rudder via setscrew, the two in the middle rotate on brass shafts that can be pulled for easy removal, and the last is attached to a traxxas wp servo underneath. It does take up a bit of space, but, being one of the largest class two hulls, I can be a little bit sloppy.
    2013-02-18 12.10.38.jpg
    Stern cannon fill tube comes up just aft of where the last smoke stack is. I am planning on being able to reload the cannons quickly with the decks still on (primarily for campaign). It also functionally holds down the gearbox shield. You can also see the two Turnigy brushless motors I plan on using for the drive & pump. Pump is a Camurati type.
    2013-03-19 22.19.24.jpg
    Hull is cut out. This hull definatly, difficult to cut. I of course, used a reinforced dremel cutting wheel (the black one). Where the cutting wheel couldn't cut deep enough, I had to use a Bosch 1/2" metal/wood oscilating cutting bit to finish the job. Some of the windows are too short/narrow to cut with either, for those I had to use a tungston/carbide cutting bit meant for hardened steel. Very happy to have finished cutting out the windows for this today!
    2013-05-13 15.46.03c.jpg
    This is a shot with ruler showing the thickness of one of the pieces that was cut out of the hull.
    2013-05-13 07.56.11.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Looking good!

I wish I could bend copper like that and still get it to feed.

3. absolutek

Well i was surprised too but the bbs do roll freely through it. Though i havent test fired it yet.

4. absolutek

The KIP solonoids have been hooked up to the new BC firing board, tested (without CO2), working great. Wiring harness for battery (2x esc, 1x solonoids/firingboard) complete. Brushless drive & brushless pump bench tested, working well. Installed the waterchannel (foamy floor padding). Finally got around to sealing the top half of the foredeck with west system. I also managed to get a couple of the new Grey Wolf Squadron Scharnhorst class smokestacks while down in Georgia last weekend. Last night I cut out the interior shielding and fit it into the hull tonight. Its not attached to the inside yet, but the showerpan liner I used is giving lil Gneisy the "new ship smell". The bow has a small piece of wooden ply wedged down the middle.
    [​IMG]

5. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

she's liking great, Chase...

6. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Looking really good!

7. absolutek

Gneisenau's 3D printed forward superstructure by Tugboat.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

She's lookin' dead sexy! The rest is in the design stage, and will probably get printed next weekend after I get more grey filament :)

9. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I gotta say I'm lovin' the printed superstructure..... It looks great!!!!

10. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

Absoluteck the ship looks great. I was wondering how you were able to bend your magazine wilhout collaping the inner wall of the tube. Did you fill the tube with something like sand. I see from your picture you had to use heat on the copper but what did you use as a mandrill to bend the tube around?

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Do you mind sharing the part number/link for the motors you've picked?

12. absolutek

13. absolutek

I didn't use heat, nor did I fill the tubes with anything. I used a metal tubing bender: IMG_20141204_215257.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  14. absolutek

Ordered some new stuff for lil Gneisenau. Going to run 4s LiPO via two 2s 6000mAH hardcase packs. New drive motor will be a KD 36-12XL Brushless Outrunner 720KV, which is actually much closer to the needed RPM than the old discontinued 2100kv on 7.4v. New pump motor will be aB28-47-13S Brushless Inrunner 3000kv, detuned slightly of course, main thing was to have one less spinning thing in the small hull space.

15. absolutek

Also ordered a new 5 blade 1.5" prop from Strike. Hopefully it will help with stopping better so I don't run over anybody's sub in at the May battle.

Planning on installing two new straight mag (well, custom bent) cannons as the front coil takes up too much space, and the rear cannon was too much of a pita to remove when I wanted to take the test deck off.

I'm going to try using clippard push connect fittings instead of the usual brass barbs.

Also planning on redoing some of the wiring in the ship as I have since it was first built. Learned how to solder better, and acquired nicer wire to use.

froggyfrenchman and NickMyers like this.
  16. NickMyers

no pictures are sad pictures
    Screenshot_2016-05-04-22-14-25.png

rcaircraftnut and Rayne Single like this.
  17. NickMyers

after talking with the esteemed von @Tugboat I've got an order for a pair of those in as well

absolutek likes this.
  18. absolutek

IMG_20160517_230813.jpg
    So the new ESC and props finally showed up. ESC is really for something else, but I will probably test it out in lil Gneisenau first.

19. absolutek

IMG_20170514_060556.jpg

So the other night I pulled this out and decided it was time for a refit. I've already taken off all the old balsa siding which was quite hard and removed most of the internals, and the old rudder servo mount which took up most of the back half. I think I will be replacing the forward deck hatch as the current one is badly warped. I have purchased a low profile servo so I can mount it much closer to the stern, thereby saving enough room to mount a modified coil cannon. I might try installing a lower kV brushless motor on the main drive as the current one has to be throttled down to 63% to make speed (it's not a priority though). I need to make a housing for the pump to hold it in place and also to keep stuff safe from the spinning out runner motor. Most importantly, all the wiring is getting redone. Will see if I get anywhere with this project this year. I know my track record is not great with getting stuff done.

Beaver likes this.
  20. absolutek

If it fits it stays and battles all weekend on one charge?

IMG_20170528_093729.jpg

WillCover and NickMyers like this.