1/96th Fiji class

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by BoomerBoy17, Jan 1, 2009.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Hey guys, i was looking into this part of the site and realized that i really, really, really like the ideas set up by Battlestations! Living in CT i know im close to a couple of battlers in this scale. I's like to do a Fiji class, like the Jamaica with the 3 turrets, not 4. I'd like to arm all three(or at least 2) and rotate all and depress too. Also, it has 6 torpedo tubes, so thats substantial too. What do you guys think? And can i run all four props? I'd like to know the dimensions (real life equals 555.5 ft long, 62 ft wide, and 16.5 ft draught). Im really interested in this, but it would probably be a job in a couple years, when im in college. Thanks a ton guys.

EDIT: Does anyone know the placement of torpedoes on the Fiji class? And Tuggy, do you have 1/96th plans for the Fiji?
    EDIT: I think all four turrets will be armed.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The ship lists are in the file section. I need to revise the speed portions but all the other information is there. Basically you can arm anything down to 3" guns. As many as props as you wish to power.

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

555.5 ft is 69.4375" long.
    62 ft beam is 7.75" wide.
    16.5 ft draft is 2.0625"

If I remember correctly..
    Just devide the feet of the actual ship by 8.
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

The torps were located on both sides (triple banks), midway between the after stack, and the aft tripod mast. From the looks of it.
    Mikey
    I couldn't open the file. I don't think I have excel..

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I don't have HMS Fiji plans, sadly. I do have a bunch of stuff on the County class CAs, slightly bigger, with fewer but bigger guns.

The book 'Anatomy of the Ship: HMS Belfast' has plans and drawings galor of a Town-class CL, which is close to Fiji in terms of arms (actually gets 4 more 4"QF guns than Fiji) and speed (1kt faster). She is 36' longer (4.5" longer in scale), but about the same beam.

5. BoomerBoy17

I looked at the Belfast and it seems really cool, i might want to do that one instead. I want to stay with the british 6" triple turrets, due to ease of buying things (lots of equipment alreay being made for that size). Ill look into it, thanks Tug.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No problem, man.

7. the frog

the frog Member

Using the new speed chart the trial speed would 31.5 or round down to 31 with 33=33 its speed would be 35 seconds.

8. BoomerBoy17

Class: Fiji class
    Number: 11
    Type: CL
    Launched: 1939-1942
    Main Armament: 12x6" (four triple turrets, later reduced to three)
    Torpedoes: 6 (2x3)
    Armor: 1/16"
    Trial Speed: 31.5 knots
    speed: 35 seconds
    pump (gpm): 1 gpm
    Standard Displacement: 8,530 tons
    heavy displacement: 10,450 tons
    model wieght: 21.25 lbs
    heavy model wieght: 26.03 lbs
    shafts: 4 shafts
    rudders: 1 rudder
    length: 555'6" overall
    beam: 62'
    model length: 69.44" overall
    model beam: 7.75"

*Thanks Anachronus and Froggy.
    Ill stick with the Fiji's, a tad smaller, lighter/easier. Thanks guys.

9. BoomerBoy17

Im looking at this and saying "wow, this might to big for me to begin with, maybe i should start small", then i realize how fun it will be to run around with 12 bb guns and 6 torps and im not afraid anymore. I figure its only about 3 inches shorter then a 1/144 yamato, and thinner. Cool

10. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Taubman's Plans has 1/200 plans of the Fiji in her 1939 configuration. Part number is SMC-280, and it sells for $22.

Carl

11. Mark

Mark Active Member

if you want really great plans that won't cost much check out our friends in Japan, miyukikai, their plans are the best! Tug knows what I'm talking about (he's the one who told me about them)

12. BoomerBoy17

Thanks guys, but im thinking mostly of the feasability of it right now, and start building in 1 - 2 years. Im still on 1/144th right now.