Video 3D Printed Liberty Ship Live Fire Test

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Beaver, May 22, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

While at Ming's Moat on Saturday, I had the pleasure of meeting @Xanthar and see his neat 3D printed Liberty ship. Now I'm not sure how it came about, but it was decided to stick the ship out on the water and blast it till it sank. Mostly to see what would happen to a 3D printed ship, but of course because it would be fun. :) See the results below.

Here is a photo of the damage. You'll notice that BB's blew out huge chunks that followed the printed layer's seam. On the table is the failed recovery float device that slipped inside and kept the Liberty afloat despite horrible damage. DSCN1061.JPG
    Enjoy,
    C

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    WillCover likes this.
  2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

@Beaver: Thanks for posting this up. It was interesting to see how it failed and fun to watch : P

3. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

Hi Caleb. yes, the purpose was to see the failure mode. An important concept in the art and science of product development. an interesting one to study - use something or stress it to destruction and see if it achieves your goals. Here, the key is to describe the mode accurately and see what it says about the technology. It does not hole because of the way the filaments did or did not bond and it propagated vertical shredding lines.

So, 3D people ( I don't have one yet) how to make the bonding strip to strip better? Aah that is the question.
    lots of fun.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The question is also one of materials used, perimeter, printing temp and environmental control factors, etc

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I will be happy to help stress yes anytime