[3DP] Single-motor Gearbox

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Tugboat, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

My new gearboxes!! So stoked that they actually work, this is actually the 3rd iteration. The first one was okay but the cover didn't fit right, and I thought that the mounting area for the motor didn't go up high enough. The second iteration was better but still not happy with the cover, and I thought that the mount plate was not as strong as I'd like for long-term use, and hence, the third iteration... I added some reinforcing ribs to the inboard side of the motor mount, with clearance left for the M3 screws. The top of the mount was extended 5mm which made me pleased, and the cover was tweaked for a good fit.
    [​IMG]
    Note that the motors mount in open-topped channels, which makes it a lot easier to get them in and out for maintenance! I got the idea from Darth Kessler, long may he enslave electrons to his whims... The gearbox is printed in one piece, and fits the BC stuffing tubes.
    [​IMG]
    And it's got a cute matching cover! It's important to accessorize!
    [​IMG]
    I printed them in gray because that's what I have right now, but more colors are coming. Looking forward to printing pumps in red or safety orange.
    Oh, I almost forgot: YES, they work with brushless motors:
    [​IMG]
    The gearboxes are also painted with a light bath of acetone to help melt and reseal any time microfractures resulting from uneven cooling rates during printing. This makes them very strong blocks of carefully crafted ABS.
    Yes, I'm selling them, $15 plus shipping, no gears included, but figure $10 for gears and they're still a steal. And yes, they're available for 380-sized motors too.

2. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Nice.... how are the rudder servo trays coming along?

3. Tugboat

Pics coming up soon :) One tray is with the servo aligned with the centerline, the other tray is perpendicular to the centerline.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Nice and spiffy! I just finished making a motor mount for my ship.:)

Beaver

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

That's a clean, simple design Tug. Very nice.

6. Tugboat

Thanks Mark, it means a lot to me coming from someone of your skill level :)

Of course, it took me 3 iterations to get there :) The first was flawed but a good starting point, the second iteration wasn't good enough for me to be happy selling, but the one I did make (and decided to improve on), is sitting in one of my convoys; plenty good enough for convoy duty, and the Mendel printed 8 of the good ones last night while I slept :)

For those interested, I am also printing a 380-sized version that looks identical apart from the slots for the mount slot spacing.

7. AP

AP Member

Pretty slick.

I noticed the printer leave a fairly rippled surface. Is the the case with all printers?

8. Tugboat

They all print in layers. You can set it to do 0.1mm thick layers but the print time is double what it is a 0.2mm, and most people print things at 0.3mm, assuming that one is not going for maximum aesthetic value. Painting the outer surfaces with acetone reduces the layer effect (because it's melting the outer surface a little). In any case, from 5 feet it's hard to make out, and from 10 it's invisible.

9. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Hey Clark, any updates on that file I sent you?

10. Tugboat

I've been working ridiculous amounts of time to get Malaya ready for the February battle, but I'll sneak in your file. Big thing that has held up things in the past week is the netbook that I have been using to run the Mendel has been getting 'winlogin' errors, usually in the middle of print runs, which is definitely not cool. I got a Win7 laptop from a friend with a corrupted version of Win7 (hence, why they gave it away), and installed Xubuntu linux on it. It's almost ready to take up the printer duties, and it's more capable than the netbook by a mile. I suspect that the netbook will be getting Xubuntu installed pretty shortly.

11. radollar2000

Thanks a bunch man. BTW, Malaya is looking tops!

12. radollar2000

Thanks a bunch man. BTW, Malaya is looking tops!