5-Blade Propellors

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Miller7D, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Ahoy shipmates,
    I'm planning to have a pair of 5-blade propellors made for my Iowa-class, but I wanted to see if anyone else has ever run with 5-blade props and what they're like if you have. I know the usual standard is three- or four-blade, which is what both Strike and BC offer. All four Iowa-class battleships had five-blade props on their inboard shafts and four-blade props on their outboards, and I like the look of five-blades, and plus I want to give them a shot. However, is there any noticeable performance increase or decrease with five-blade as opposed to four-blade?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

In theory, less cavitation for the same force applied. In reality, I wouldn't expect a LOT of difference. But in clear water, with an ESC to do a slow-speed drive-by, they'd look like a million dollars.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I've been running 5 blades on my Bismarck for the past couple of years, works great. I've never run it with other than a 5 blade prop so I can't give you a first hand comparison. However as I understand it more blades "generally" gives better acceleration which is rather important in our little game so I tend to go with more blades over fewer cet. par.

4. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

That's good to know, thanks! I've had nothing but great performance from my pair of four-blade props thus far, but I want to see what five will do.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hard to beat that for real-life information :)

Who's making your 5-blade props, Miller?

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I run five-blade Raboesch D-type props on my HMS Rodney, they do help her get moving betterthan the four-bladers did.
    There's no rule on blade numbers for props here.

7. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

I'm going to have Battler's Connection do them; Rick, one of the big chiefs there (or probably THE big chief) gave me a really good quote on a pair of 1.5-inch 35-degree pitch 5-blade props. Who knows? Maybe it'll catch on enough that both BC and Strike will offer 5-blade props as a matter of course.

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Check out Prop Shop (Links Below). I know you are starting with the pretty model and will change it over to battling some day. BUT might as well do the drive once. For a ship this size 2" or better props are the way to go.

http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?id=37&section=store&sub_section=products&product_type=37

http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?section=store&sub_section=product_detail&id=888&product_type=37

9. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I don't know how they perform in combat but Steve Hill has five bladed props for his Vanguard. She moved really well when he had close to correct weight in her, really well. Before he put the extra weight in and she was only about half weight, you could waterski behind her! Had a big roster tail too, went like stink!

(If this was the smack thread I would probably say something like, "very appropriate for an Allied ship, better to flee with!!!" But since this isn't the smack thread, I won't. ;) )
    J

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I ran Bismarck on 4 and 5 blade props and other than slightly more wash over the rudder to maneuver better not that much different however under BG speeds may make the difference with the extra blade there. I also ran Bis , 1 .25, 1.35 ,1.75 35 pitch and the2 and 2.5 on the 25 pitch. Yeah did them all . They all worked well under the large 970 motor .

11. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Those Prop Shop screws are -gorgeous- but I think a little too rich for my blood at the moment; I also want to get some termite armor, and I figure I might as well one go to one source for the interim. I will probably have to gear down the Illinois; I've been running her at no more than 3/4 throttle these days, and I think that's still probably a little too fast. I really need to mark out a 100-foot course at my pond and run the ship just to get a reasonable feel for how fast she really is.