A waterproof videocamera for under $100!

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Kotori87, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=6115681&sourceid=1500000000000003142050#reviews

Wreno found this and posted it on the Big Gun forum. Its a solid-state video camera that's rated waterproof up to 10 feet / 3 meters. Every ship salvage expert must have one of these babies! I will be getting one once my parents get back from their trip to Europe.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Rob Wood and I bought a couple of these, and yesterday we took them out for testing.

The results were great. These cameras made excellent gun cams, as well as proving themselves useful at filming other stuff too. We even tested their waterproof-ness by placing one on an empty Viribus Unitis hull and sinking it several times.

The camera worked great on 1.2v rechargeable NiMH batteries. They were rated 2000 mAh and lasted quite a bit longer than the 1 hour of recording we did. A 2GB memory card provided approximately 1 hour of recording. It included a nifty mount that was easily attached to turret covers and decks, as well as a velcro attachment that makes wreck-diving easy. We also discovered that the camera does not like low-light situations, so a powerful light source will be needed for any wreck-diving I do.

I am currently editing together the footage taken, and hope to have it up for review before this weekend.

If anyone else wants one, I would recommend getting it from Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-Action-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B000F5FKHI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9943520-3467104?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188259372&sr=8-1
    because they offer a combo discount for the camera and a 2-gb memory card for it.

Carl

3. donanton

donanton Member

Aparently, 1.2V NiMh batteries have a personal agenda against paintball and jet skiing. My ATC2K lasted about 2 seconds and died. That or the batteries were bad.

4. klibben

klibben Member

Carl, how big is it? it looks like it's pretty big and would hang over the turret by quite a bit?

I've always wanted to get one but with my luck the golden BB would smash the lens or something.

5. Bryan

Bryan Member

Try putting a little plexi shield
    in front of Lense or build little
    coffin for it, attach a bobber/float
    to it and leave bobber/Float in
    smoke stack, if hull sinks
    bobber/float floats (if your pond
    deeper than 10 ft limit) and your
    camera does not go too deep, you
    would only use it for some battles
    not all, but would be a unique view
    for sure.

Or you could build it into the
    superstructure that floats off
    to mark the sink location and
    again have a small clear lexan
    or Plexiglas shield in front of
    it.

Just fome ideas.

Bryan

6. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

I saw Carl's post and orderd mine yesterday from Amazon. Came out to $86.00 with free shipping. I will use it this next season for the MWC events as well as when on my Harley! Too cool! Thanks.

Steve

7. Bryan

Bryan Member

Update I got a RC GoPro Hero Camera and it is small, waterproof and light, details below
    also photo of it in my hand for a scale referance. (It is small but powerfull) about $200 in Canada
    less in the USA.
    The new GoPro R/C HERO lets you see the view from behind the wheel of your R/C car, plane,
    or boat in full TV-resolution video. This miniature, waterproof, shockproof camera mounts easily
    using the supplied self-adhesive mounting plates and quick-release brackets to capture a
    driver’s-seat view from your favorite R/C machine.
    R/C HERO’s 170-degree wide angle lens captures all the action with 30fps video, or choose still
    mode to shoot 5 megapixel photos. R/C HERO can be set to shoot a still photo every 2 or 5seconds
    for time-lapse photography, or select ‘burst’ mode to shoot three shots at a time. Offload video or
    stills to your computer using the supplied USB cable, or plug R/C HERO directly into a television
    using the included RCA adapter for instant viewing. Two lithium or NiMH AAA batteries* (not included)
    power R/C HERO for up to 2 hours of video capture or 1400 still photos.
    With its waterproof polycarbonate housing, R/C HERO is perfect for boat applications.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    have fun it is a great little camera, waterproof to 200feet, so it will survive any sink your ship should be in.:p