ABS Strength & BBs

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by tgalx3, Apr 25, 2024.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone studied or have data on the minimum wall thickness for ABS that a BB can not puncture?

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

It depends ...
    Your best bet is to download Commodore's test cube and see what you find.
    I'd recommend screwing it down to some scrap wood so it doesn't just fly away when you hit it.
    My previous test targets had that problem : )

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

It depends a lot. On how often it's hit, where it's hit and what it's surounded by. I lost a couple of deck pieces that had four wall layers but were under half inch diameter while other sections of the super that had four wall were simply dented in slightly

4. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but Flex or TPU is completely resistant to being shot. Even with only two layers. The worst thing that will happen is the paint will flake off. I used this for all of the small items like turret covers, secondaries, and even the entire casemate level of my Nassau.

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I am currently printing some items with 2mm thick walls. The default is 1.2mm. I'll test a 2mm wall thickness and see what happens.

6. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I’m running some tests to get my setup more bb resistant. Like others have said I wouldn’t view wall thickness as a single measure, rather as one of many variables to figure out. I think Will uses 2.4mm walls. Real ABS can withstand BBs down to 1/16 at least, several guys make their superstructure out of ABS sheets and say it holds up well

here’s my test setup. I made a simple hull representation to check warping and supports. Also to see what a bb hit will do against an exact rib or deck rim profile
    IMG_2560.jpeg
    I’ve been shooting with one of the guns from my Lutzow since I was doing some work on it, just normal gun off air compressor, nothing crazy
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    I’ve tried to shoot the same spot up to 10 times and document between each shot. It’s easier said than done, also important to turn away when pulling the trigger. Here are various damage shots in no particular order
    IMG_2566.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2602.jpeg
    I haven’t reached an acceptable set of parameters yet, I have a few more samples to test. There are a lot of online resources out there discussing the effect of changing various parameters

tgalx3 and Boatmeister like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Man, that test cube brings back some memories.

I've been using 8 perimeters (approx 1/8") as my default thickness for ABS superstructure pieces, with the caveat that for things like cruisers, etc., you have to save weight, so I just go with the default thickness, or maybe 1/16" on those and figure it's a "consumable" item. The 1/8" ABS portions on my Bismarck have held up well so far. The PLA, not so much. (Yes, I was a slacker and used some PLA superstructure, since at the time, I didn't have an enclosure, and stuff.)

tgalx3 and Boatmeister like this.
  8. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I'm good with dents, just not holes.

I understand that it depends. Similar, to tank armor. If its target surfaces angle, distance, velocity. I'm thinking worst case, perpendicular and at a range of about a 12". I forgot to mention this would be for fast gun.

9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That looks good. I would think that minor dents are to be expected, depending on distance and velocity.

What are ABS sheets and how do you make superstructure out of it? My guess is ABS sheet is just that a sheet of printed ABS but wanted to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2024
  10. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

2.4mm walls, .8 individual line widths (or .6 for superstructure), .4 layer height (.2 for SS), ABS printed at 270c in a 50c heated chamber, at 300mm/s 10k accel.

Hulls are essentially impervious to BB fire, Indiana got the shit shot out of it and shows no wear even on areas of subdeck where you can tell shots were connecting due to missing paint and epoxy on the wooden decks. Superstructure also is basically impervious. I have had no major cracking/issues with these print settings in the years I've been doing it this way. For small/lightweight stuff, like my Victory Ship kit, the superstructure is printed very very light and if it breaks it breaks.

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

ABS sheet like...a sheet of solid ABS from the time before the magic plastic pasta machine was a household thing.

Commonly bought at local raw materials suppliers, mcmaster, etc. https://www.mcmaster.com/8586K551-8586K552/

tgalx3 likes this.
  12. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

tgalx3 likes this.
  13. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member