Added to the list

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Gettysburg114th, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    How do I get added to the 1/96 groups list here?
    Bob A IJN Suzuya/DMB Conte di Cavour Red Lion, Pa

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Done and welcome, Bob! Funny that you're doing a Mogami... Several just got built in MWCI (1/144) as well. Nice looking ships.

3. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Welcome aboard,

Nothing needed to get added to the group, just what you gave.

Scott Foster

4. Tugboat

Hey, Scott... going to join the party? 8)

5. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I am, I've been in from the very first, lol I think it was about 99, long time to lurk.
    I'm just trying to decide what hull to order from Mouldeans(Dean Marines just hull part)Their HMS Swiftsure hull is tempting as it can be built as HMCS Ontario,and seeing as I'm a canuck it would be cool to battle a canadian ship.However they have an Abdiel hull as well and seeing as I already have a 1/144 scale HMS Welshman 85% ready to battle with NABS up here,I have a plan set and a few books about that class.

I'd also love to get one of their HMS Nelson class however I think they'd have to be convinced to cut the hull in two for shipping over here.Even then it would probably cost an arm and leg.

SRF

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

All
    I am here too.
    Mikey Strasbourg Dayton Ohio
    Mogador

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My local hull builder (Michael Raue) would be pleased to sell you a Nelson hull, he'll fit it with brass guide tubes for reassembly and cut it in half for delivery. He's sent many hulls overseas this way. He also does recessed polycarbonate caprails and fibreglass decks to suit, for a very reasonable cost. If you would like his E-mail address, just ask.

8. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi Darren,

The Nelson they make would be in 1/96 scale for Battlestations, not 1/144.

Thanks anyways!
    SRF

9. Tugboat

Ohh... Darn, I thought you were looking to do Battlestations. Ah well, 1/144 is fun, too. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have so many hulls and such sitting about the workroom here in the old house (still moving to new house with big shop).

10. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

I have been lurking too. I just don't want to make grandious statements with no follow-through. I also changed my sign-on so it only adds to the confusion.

I am waiting to finish my current probject (1/144 Tirpitz) and then decide on a new project -- Either a 1/144 carrier or a 1/96 combat ship. I won't have anyone to play with in 1/96, but perhaps 'If I build it they will come!'

The 1/144 Tirpitz barely fits in my car, so 550 this is the upper limit on length. This means either a cruiser or an older battleship.

A pre-Dreadnought is definite possibility (Radetsky, Lord Nelson), but right now I am leaning towards a smaller dreadnought - the VU or South Carolina are on the list, perhaps even as big as HMS Dreadnought or USS Florida and in a pinch maybe USS Arkansas.

It's too bad we can't go back to 1900 because there are some wonderfully ugly Russian Battleships that would qualify.

11. slow_and_ugly

Hey Scott,
    NABS (the club) has a 1/144 Nelson hull. It was the one I built, then sold to Blair. Blair sold it when he got the Richelieu and the new owner traded it back to the club.
    Contact John -- perhaps you can get it. It needs some lovin'.

12. Tugboat

Hey Rob, how do you feel about the Virginia-class pre-dreads?

13. slow_and_ugly

I think the double turrets are really cool. This is exactly why I like the ships of this era -- technology was really evolving and people were trying so many different experiments.

I haven't had much luck finding plans for US ships of this era, although I do have plans for the protected cruiser USS St.Louis.

14. Tugboat

Where'd you get the plans for the St. Louis? I'm ordering several Virginia-class drawings from the Archives. I'm going to render them to 1/96 and 1/144. Doing it mainly because I'm from Georgia, and the Georgia was in that class of BBs. I will be making the Virginia main and secondary turrets in 1/96. No time estimate, but they're really simple relative to the newer ones.

I have more than a few scanned photos of the St. Louis class ships from some research on the USS Charleston, if you at some point need them.

15. slow_and_ugly

I got them from http://www.marylandsilver.com/

Most of the plans are pre-1905 and not all them include sections.

16. Tugboat

Yeah, I'm ordering several sheets for Virginia, including interior stuff, and I specifically asked for sections/frames :)

17. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Those I will have to see. Are you doing the standard turrets (For the 12"/40 cal.) in 1/144?

Or...1/96? A 1/96 USS Louisiana would be fun...of course who would it fight?

Pax,
    J.

18. Tugboat

I am making a list of stuff to work on for the new business (not just GWF stuff, which won't be worked on till fall sometime) :) The Virginia hull and parts will initially be in 1/96, 1/144 will probably follow. Connecticut-class stuff will be produced at around the same time, in 1/96 followed by 1/144. I am ordering copies of the original plans from the Archives so I can make a good hull that non-combat modellers will like, too :) With this being a full-time business, I need to make more than just sluggers (at least until the world renounces football, soccer, and baseball to embrace boat battling...)

And you are not that far away! A reasonable drive for a battle weekend, 10 hours :) Being that we're the only Battlestations guys in the south, I'll put my fat arse in the truck and drive down for a battle. Actually, Dietzer is in TX, about 7 hours from you. Maybe a Baton Rouge battle for the 3 of us :)

19. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey Tugboat,
    You think the Mogami looks good in the MWC, you should see how good it looks in Treaty. One second speed advantage in MWC, real ship speed advantage in Treaty!!
    They are by far, the best looking Japanese cruisers ever built.
    Bob Osan

20. Tugboat

I love them. The first RC-Artwerks hull will be Agano since it's closest to being done, Mogami will be another one on the list, probably in both scales (1/144 and 1/96). Since no-one really covers the Japanese and French I'm looking there for subjects hull-wise, first. Pre-dreads of any flavor, as well. I'm buying some molds that cover other areas, so we should be well rounded nationalities-wise.