Ahoy from the Wild West

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CaptainCook, Feb 20, 2009.

1. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Hi everyone,
    I have been browsing this forum regularly since last July, and finally decided to join. I live in Idaho, there aren't any other people in my area but sometime I'd like to start a MWCI chapter in ID. I had originally planned to buy a Mississippi predreadnought from BC, but in order to save money, I decided to build a wooden hull instead. This may seem silly and uneducated to call a wooden hull cheaper, but I have a very nice gradfather who is a woodworker and has a shop full of all the necessary equipment and tools, not to mention 50+ years of knowledge and woodworking skills. Helpful relatives provided me with some plan sets at Christmas, so I'm building battleship USS Utah, Cruiser USS Salt Lake City, also carrier USS Langey (this is the first Langley, not the Independence class CVL). Langley will be a concoy ship, not a warship. At the moment I have the hull skeletons done for both warships, and some parts cut out for Langley. For the most part, the build style is the same as Mike M's Bearn build, which has been very very helpful. I will be battleling with the MWCI. I don't know when I'll be able to get to a battle, but when I do, I look forward to meet and battle with some of you guys!
    Garrett, aka CaptainCook

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Where are you located in Idaho? If it is in the Coeurdalene area, that is right by me, in Spokane.

-Greg

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Welcome aboard, Sounds like youve got a good idea of what you want. Mike's build was fantastic, your smart to follow his lead. Best of luck to you and starting or joining a nearby club.

4. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

I'm located near Council, a small town about a 2 hour drive north of Boise.
    Yes, Mikes build has been a world of information, I would not be as far along on Utah as I am without that build.
    Garrett

5. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey there guy welcome, I have a new person that is building a Utah and we are also building the USS Idaho! I will post some pics very soon!
    Buddy

6. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Thanks for the welcome guys, Buddy, seeing those pictures would be a lot of help. The USS Idaho will be interesting as well, I had considered building Idaho for my first battleship, but decided to do the smaller Utah instead. I will probably build Idaho thought in the future, a year or so from now.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

it looks like you are about 4.5 hours away from Justin.... In Kennewick, WA

8. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Will hope full get some this weekend we are doing abuild session.
    Buddy

9. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/A-D/Buddy/Project%20Utah%20004.png
    See if this helps
    Buddy

10. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/A-D/Buddy/Project%20Utah%20001.png
    Here is another one.Hope that helps some.
    Buddy

11. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Well, as far as starting your own club... nothing sells the hobby better than the ships themselves. Build a ship, then take it to your LHS / paintball / anywhere that will let you show it off.. Bring lots of teaser flyers, pointed to this website or one dedicated locally (your's).

After you have another member, or have built a second ship, try to get permission from a well traffic'd pond / park / large mud puddle... put both ships in & do maneuvers, as you won't (shouldn't) get permission to shoot. The size of the ships will draw interest, especially if they are well detailed.

Setup a gun demo, a fully enclosed working gun (in turret for effect) which fires at a hard piece of wood. And let the crowd fire it.

Schedule frequent battles, put the dates on your fliers with directions. Bring a cheap ship (convoy,etc) for your potential captains to drive....

[rinse, repeat.]

12. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

There is a LHS that I buy from often, so I could advertise there. The is a pond on my folks place where I can battle, it is, like you say, a large mud puddle most of the year. It would be best in the late winter and spring, when a runoff creek runs through and cleans it...during the summer it gets dirty.
    Our county has a yearly fair in July, I may take a finished warship there to the hobby section, complete with a stack of take-away flyers describing the hobby of RCNC. I am building the cruiser Salt Lake City to mainly use as a ship for hopeful captains to sail, like Bobs Minniapolis. When I get enough captains I plan to half maybe 2 battle a month, or one every 2 weeks. I plan to create a club website, and will also direct the newbs to this forum.
    The Idaho club wil probably be called Tast Force 43 (since ID is the 43rd state).

13. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Thanks for the pics Buddy, they are very helpful.

14. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

How far are you from the Reno area? We have a pretty active group here. I'm sure it would be a bit of a drive, but you'd be more than welcome to come down to a battle or build session.

15. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

I live near Council, a small town about a 2 hour drive north of Boise. At the moment I'm still in High school so going to your battles isn't very likely to happen. But in a few years from now, I can see myself coming to a lot of them.

16. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guy did you get the other pics I sent you?
    Buddy

17. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Yep, thanks for sharing the Idaho, she is real cool.

18. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guy you should of got the new pics of the Utah did you get them?
    Buddy