Ahoy from Virginia!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PetrolHead951, Apr 15, 2014.

1. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Potential Allies,
    The Healy Kingdom is a land locked nation located in the Norfolk region of the continent of Virginia. As we are a democratic monarchy, I, as King, hold limited influence over the running of our small nation. The Prime Minister(wife) and her surprisingly loyal Parliament(wife again) make the big economic(hobby funds), political(hanging out with friends), religious(church events to attend), welfare(honey do list), and defense(range time for my Sig 1911) decisions. My only real powers are to consult(ask permission), advise(voice my opinion on what the baby should wear) and warn(actually… this one’s legit).
    Our nation enjoys a lucrative relationship(free babysitting) with our ally(in-laws) Garciasreal. Garciasreal is a small democratic republic on the shores of the Great Lafayette River that maintain no standing army or navy and usually rely on the Norfolk United Nations(Norfolk PD) for protection from hostile nations(the hood across the bridge). As of late the NUN has been relatively ineffectual at stopping hostile foreign incursions(Breaking into their cars, and sleeping on the park bench across the street). I have warned the Garciasrealites that they need a standing army(gun) but my warnings have been mostly ignored. Therefore I have decided to ask parliament to create a navy for the defense of our kingdom and our allies. A small force would suffice, perhaps a Baltimore class heavy cruiser, to conduct maritime peace operations on the Great Lafayette River to protect our interests(baby) in Garciasreal. I have forwarded my recommendation to Parliament and am awaiting authorization of funds(this may never happen). As my position leaves me with little official duties, I have also requested that I be given personal command of our navy when it is created.

I have written this letter to request advice on how to establish a successful and potent navy.
    Humbly yours,
    King Matt
    P.S. The situation with the inlaws isn't really that bad, but I had a lot of fun writing this so I took some creative license.

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

LOL....

Welcome aboard!

3. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

Lol. Yes it was creative , at first I thought I was on the app games of war fire age .. But was funny to read . And also was one of my own questions. I think every town should have a wide veriety of r/c clubs . Such as other clubs even the ones with music and the occasional metal detecter to enter . Lol
    Thanks Fred

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

A most excellent read. :D

And, as the French would have it, Bienvenue à bord. :)

5. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I think that qualifies as the best intro ever on RCNC. Welcome aboard!

6. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Former drunken sailor that was stationed in Norfolk but never slept on your park bench, welcome!

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

"From small beginnings come great things."

Welcome aboard, may your navy propser and be ever funded!

8. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll start with a little background information. I'm an Aviation Machinist Mate 1st class in the United States Navy. So far I have specialized in the maintenance and upkeep of F/A-18 Hornet engines and fuel systems. As far as experience that should help with this hobby, I have experience with radio controlled cars, I know my way around a wide assortment of tools, I built a plastic DKM Bismarck kit in high school, and I designed and built a foot long wooden bridge using only 1/8th pieces of balsa wood that held the highest load in my 8th grade class (I don’t know if it still holds the school record). I’m a big naval history nut and fighting model warships is probably the coolest thing I’ve ever heard of. I might have to sell a couple RC cars to fund a warship.

9. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Welcome aboard...
    You are just a very short drive from where we are holding the IRCWCC NATS this year. I would get in touch with Marty Hayes in the IRCWCC. He is just north of you. They hold building sessions as well as battles up there.

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'm a Treaty guy in the NoVA area (Alexandria). There really aren't any other treaty guys around here except Bob A up in PA, but you are right in between teh MWC (south) and IRCWCC (north)

11. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Now that I think about it, a Deutschland class heavy cruiser would be better. I could start with triple sterns and then have a good platform to switch to big gun when I'm ready.

12. crzyhawk

I like my Admiral Graf Spee, a lot.

13. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Crzyhawk, did you get the Strike Kit? How easy was it to put together?

14. crzyhawk

I bought it half finished. the model itself was done, but it had no internals or guns, so I am not really qualified to answer that.

15. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The Strike kits are as good as any combat kit you will find. With that being said, I'd like to point out that any kit sold for R/C warship combat is very basic compared to today's typical ARF (almost ready to fly), ARS (almost ready to sail), or ARD (almost ready to drive) kits that are marketed to today's "hobbyists". Combat kits are akin to the balsa kits of old in that your given a pretty good starting point with a box of material and hardware, and a single sheet of plans. Your expected to be able to run with it from there and, God forbid, actually build a model! :eek:

If you can superglue two things together and two out of three times not get your fingers stuck together, you can build an R/C warship! :laugh:

16. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

I think I can handle it. From what I'm reading in the Treaty rules, I can arm a Lutzow with tripple stern guns and a half pump. Is that an effective setup or should I go double stern with a bow or double stern with 1.5 pump?

17. crzyhawk

All of the setups you mentioned are solid. I'm personally running twin sterns and a bow gun. I don't think I would go with the 1.5 unit pump because unless you do something terribly wrong, or something fails, it's pretty hard to get sunk in a cruiser. I run cruisers when I don't really feel like doing much patching. Bow guns are generally not terribly effective, but I enjoy using it. I'm in it for fun rather than to rape and pillage, so the bow gun is a no brainer for me. A side advantage is, my understanding of MWC rules is that triples are not legal in a Lutzow, so by going dual sterns and a bow gun, you can be legal in both MWC and IRCWCC fast gun, and Treaty.

That said, if you don't plan to battle with the MWC, triples are very effective and generate a good deal of respect by your enemies.

18. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Update! I've been granted permission to start my navy, but I've been denied any funding from the treasury. I'm going to have to raise the funds myself. Maybe I should sell my extra extra car.

Also I've been looking at other ships. The Admiral Scheer looks like a fun ship, but it's kinda ugly... I'm not afraid to tackle a more challenging build anyway, and I'll probably be spending more time showing off my ship than battling it so I'm looking for something more attractive. I really like the look of the Colorado class BBs.

19. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

Ugly! The Sheer was the best (and most succesful) of the 3 pocket battleships. She is Beautiful and a great ship to run. Mine started as the Lutzow, went through a Graf Spee phase and finally the Admiral Scheer. The Sheer has the best looking superstructure of the 3.
    Anything you build yourself will be beautiful (even a Gangut) just build it and bring it, then we'll sink it. You will have a ball.

20. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

I just think the enormous turrets look a little goofy on a ship that size.