Ahoy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rowboat captain, Sep 13, 2007.

1. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Hello, another new captain here. from La Crosse Wi building my first boat. the Bismarck. just started to laydown the hull. and dreaming of battling.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Bismarck is a nice ship, what format are you battling, the polar bears fast gun are just north of you.

3. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

i will be hopefully be battling with the polar bears so I guess its fast gun.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, they're MWC fast gun. Nice guys, very cool to battle with. Which plans are you using for Bismarck? If you don't already have it, I've found the Anatomy of the Ship:Bismarck to be a very good source.

5. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

I bought a set of plans in 1990 the plans are 6 large sheets witch break the ship down very well each sheet is 70x36. got them froma mr John White from Ca no other markings on the plans except for "Bismark"

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

What scale are they in? I've never heard of the guy, but it sounds like there's enough paper space to include lots of details.

7. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

I believe they are 1/144 scale or close to it. Germany Bismark/Tirpitz BB 1939 length: 820 feet and beam of:118 if my math is good in 1/144 scale it would be length of 66" and beam of 9.8" I got the plans from him but not sure if he drew them up. maybe bob evans plans or maybe Lief Goodson. those are the contact names I had with the plans. anyway they are a set of great plans.

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly..
    John White was a big-gunner from out west, and had his own plans service.
    He drew-up, and sold big-gun ship plans.
    I always heard of him as John C. White.
    Mikey

9. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Just checked the mailing lable on the plans tube. yep John C White from CA, awesome plans.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

John C White started out in the WWCC, I think. I don't know if he invented the rotating "Indiana" cannon or not, but he was the first person to document it and draw up a decent set of plans and instructions for making the first rotating Big Gun cannon. His gun drawings are still sold at BDE. He went on to design some incredible cannons, like the "Stomper" quad-barrel cannon for french battleships, which could punch through 2" blue foam at 85 PSI and almost always tore chunks instead of holes. Before I joined the club, there was a falling-out between the 1/72 scale guys and one particularly disagreeable 1/144 scale guy in the WWCC, which caused John and the other 1/72'ers to move north to Washington and Oregon. He's probably still up there, though I haven't heard anything about him recently.

The plans for my PUMA class transport were from JC White's plan service. I actually found it at a friend's house while digging through the garage, in an old yellow manila folder, with "J.C. White" stamped on one side. The plansheet itself was drawn by another company, but J.C. White definitely was distributing it.

11. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I'd love to see a planset for those stomper cannon, or even some good photos, they sound awesome.

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There were only two working examples of the Stomper cannon ever built, and neither of them is in my possession. I understand the basics of how it works, but the actual mechanism behind is way over my head. It looks a lot like your average "negative-pressure cannister" cannon, with the accumulator directly below the magazine and rotating with it. However, when you pull the trigger the entire magazine drops down to seal all four breeches, and simultaneously opens two internal buna-ball valves to fire the two pairs of barrels. It has a very audible and unique Ka-CHUNK sound when the magazine drops, which also adds to its aura of fear.

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Hey Rowboat! I am just catching up with this thing and was just browsing. Saw you were from LaCross WI.I hailed from Racine at one time. Hey is that landing craft still working out of Genoa. One use to run a flag up a pole and this WW 2 landing craft from the Minn.side would come over and pick you up and take you to a barge for fishing. Also there was a hotel in Genoa that was out of the old west. Saloon downstairs. 4 rooms upstairs. I wonder if they still have the maids there that would pound on your door and wanted to change your sheets at 1 AM. Great place. I will never forget it.
    Welcome.