Alaska, North Carolina, or South Dakota

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by boater26, Oct 20, 2008.

1. boater26

boater26 Member

Which would be best for a newbee and i would like to detail it. Also what would be the best set up.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Let me think about it.

Alaska - Nice looking, but really a giant cruiser, it will not turn very well, but does go 24 sec. If you add alot of detail, it will just give all of us more to shoot off, before you get sunk.

NC - You need a strong back, turns well, has 24 second speed, exceeds the magic 700 ft lenght for the MWC rules, so different gun setups can be used also, if you are willing to try them.

SD - Little shorter than a NC, does not meet the 700 ft rules, so it has 26 sec speed, and you will need to go with the standard gun setup. 1 port, 1 star, 3 sterns. But turns very well.

Now you have to decide what is right for you. Myself, if my back allowed it, would be the NC, just because of the different gun setup allowed, which I have never seen anyone use myself. They have all been the same as the SD.

Hope this helps a little bit.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

what should be asked, is what rule setup?

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I would go with the SoDak for better turning, but as long as it isnt the Alaska, either choice is really good.

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Which ruleset is a great question, I didn't know the nc gets dual sides (if I'm reading your magic setup correctly)in mwc rules, IRCWCC gets one gun each side. And the biggest question which was not answered....

Which one for a newbie? None of the above I'm afraid. I have recommended NC's in the past but I have come to realize that is a formidable build for someone starting out. I would recommend a Tennessee/ West Virgina after seeing the experience my rookie friends have had with them but I think you should go smaller to get started. there is less to build, repair, maintain and the expense is less. Also get a experienced builder in your area to become a foster friend to you, You will need it.

As for the detail, keep in mind that everything will be shot so build out of rubber or make it simple to keep replacing or both. Spend most of your time on the superstructure as it will last a little longer. If you have any questions, please ask.

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'll second the question. What might be a good beginner ship under one rule set might not be so good in another set.

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

In the MWC - Ships over 720': These ships may carry a maximum of three sidemount cannons with a maximum of two firing cannons covering a specific side. When two cannons are firing into the same quadrant, they must be in separate turrets. All quadrants may be covered.

I would install 2 guns facing to starboard, in the forward turrets, and using the 6th channel have them both rotate to port. That way you will have max firepower, 2 guns to battle those pesty class 4 and 5 boats. With the normal trips in the rear.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I agree that David's got the best idea there. I still prefer the SoDak just because I'm ornery, but for max firepower with good speed, the NC is it.

9. boater26

boater26 Member

im in the new jersey area so probability irwcc if you can reccomend any other AMERICAN ship i just said those choices because i ask what ship is better for a rookie and they started reccomending an axis ship [xx(]

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, that's because they are evil! Pure evil from the 8th dimension! (bonus points for those who've seen the greatest comedy ever made and recognize the quote from it)

American ship? Good for beginners? Hmmm....

11. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Maybe a South Carolina or Pennsylvania. Bigger ships attract more "unfriendly" attention.

12. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

A Utah built from the hull that Ralph Coles makes might be good for a beginner. They're a bit slow, but should have good hull volume and they are pretty fat and short. With some work on the rudder and shafts, they should turn decently. With 5 turrets (2 forward, 3 aft), and 4 units, the captain should have a decent amount of options on how to arm it, and the hull volume/displacement to not be too crammed.

13. GregMcFadden

Honestly, I don't know of a good American beginners ship. Even if there was a good real ship, I am not aware of a hull for said ship, and availability of a fiberglass hull is rather high on the "needs" for most beginners.

You could always go with a cruiser, but the heavy cruisers in IRC, while fun, do not, in my opinion have the required staying power to deal with the hord of 24 second fast BB's or the quick turning slow BB's. dang... I just can not come up with anything but axis... I hate to say it but there are a good number of available beginner axis hulls out there... dang... good american, beginner ship with hulls available... hmmn... that has me a bit stumped...

14. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I didn't recommend any axis ships for you. I like the pennslyvania class recommendation. You get the 5.5 units, turrets that have down angle, casemates and 26 seconds. Mine is a lot of fun. Just ask boomer (safer than on shore)

15. BoomerBoy17

i agree with rarena, go with a pennsylvania, most fun youll ever have, i think. no really, its a great ship, and, when working, can hold its own against SoDoks and NCs

16. GregMcFadden

Is there a Pennsylvania hull available?

17. crzyhawk

I don't think there is one available commercially, however, the combat characteristics of a Pennsylvania are nearly identical to the Colorado/Tennessee/New Mexico (with slight mods) available from BC.

That said, an Allied leaning rookie would be better served by looking at the British Navy.

18. BoomerBoy17

Very true, maybe just go with that ship, as it is very available

19. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

The Lion is a good starter ship, so I have been told.

20. crzyhawk

I'd recommend Indefatigable over Lion for a beginner, but the OP wants an American ship and there just aren't that many ships that are great for rookies in the US fleet.