Allies equivalent to the Viribus Unitis?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Gardengnome, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

What would you think would be a good Allies equivalent to the SMS Viribus Unitis in the MWC ruleset? By that I mean low free board, tight turning (tandem rudders and drag disks), 4 units.
    SMS Viribus Unitis is a 28 speed, 4 units, 41.5” loa, 7.1”beam.
    I am leaning to the HMS Hercules (Colossus class Dreadnought). It is a 28 speed ship, 4 units, 45.5” loa, 7” beam.
    The nice thing w/ the Hercules is the X/Y/Q set up it could have 2 stern side mounts (port and starboard) w/ a stern gun in the Q turret. Similar to what can be done in the SMS Moltke. I have been thinking of doing my second ship as a scratch build. The pond my local group is on is pretty small thus my thinking of something similar to the Viribus Unitis. The added bonus of the HMS Hercules is the lower freeboard w/ no casements that should make for an easier build.
    So what are your opinions?

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I think the Iron Duke would be a good match. Short, low, and turns nicely. It has a similier turret arrangement too.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Im gonna say no, there arent any real comparisons, although there could be a couple, esp. the early British BB class 4s, with dual rudders.

4. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I agree the early British dreadnoughts are probably the closest equivalents (Dreadnought through Erin classes). Bellerophon may have a slight edge in maneuverability, but Erin gets an extra half-unit and may be the best overall.

The class 5 British dreadnoughts give up a little more maneuverability but make up for it with better firepower. Iron Duke is probably most maneuverable of them but the bulged Queen Elizabeth and bulged Revenge give you the extra half-unit.

If I ever get another Allied ship, Queen Elizabeth is at the top of my list.

5. BoomerBoy17

Yes, good point about the Erins, good ship.
    I wouldnt do a Queen Elizabeth, because one, everyone and their grandmother has one in fast gun, plus, if you show up with a QE and dont know how to drive it, youll get pounced on and eaten alive.

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

For a long time I have thought that the Colossus/Neptune classes have about the best chance of tangling with the VU/Nassaus on even footing. I'd pick one of them over a Bellerophon on the strength of weapons layout. I'm not a fan of how the guns are laid out on the earliest dreadnoughts.

Another good choice would be HMS Erin. The length to beam ratio is awesome, and she's got the twin rudders to boot. Probably not on par with the VU and Nassau, but should be able to hang with the Konigs and Badens with no problem.

7. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

My thoughts too. I think I failed to mention and no one picked up, other than you, is that the Hercules is one of the earlier Dreadnoughts with Tandem rudders.

8. BoomerBoy17

I like the Orion class, looks cool and great names. Also, 2 side by side rudders.

9. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

All of the British dreadnoughts have side by side rudders up until the R-class which had inline rudders when originally built. Someone told me the secondary rudder was removed when they were modernized, but Ive seen no documentation on it.

The exceptions to this "rule" were the British dreadnoughts built for foreign customers such as the Agincourt and Canada had single rudders. Honestly, I'm surprised the early British ships aren't more popular given the amount of Axis captains who like the run the German pig boats.

10. BoomerBoy17

I says that it was removed in my copy of Conway's, but lacks information on when it was removed.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Offhand, I'd go with the HMS Invincible, 26sec, 4 units, twin rudders. Very maneuverable.

12. Mrhim

Mrhim New Member

My thoughts are the Spanish ship Espana would be a great alternative, class 4 38inches long low in the water with a fair amount of impenetrable area, only one rudder but shorter and still able to turn on a dime

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Go with the Espana. It's a tough little battleship and it performs very very well.