Andrea Doria versus HMS Lion

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I know that the Lion is faster, but I really like the Doria too. Any advice on which way to go?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

For me, speed is not that important between 24 and 26 seconds (indeed, more of my ships run at 26 than 23 or 24). I like the Lion personally, even though the rudders are tricky to get installed with the tight stern and all. I had one with twin sterns and a forward sidemount that could be manually rotated between battles. I'd have done the sidemount in the midships turret, but I had battery clearance issues.

3. BoomerBoy17

Im looking for ease of building, good turning and good placement on cannons above other things

4. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I always go with "build the boat you like." Build the Doria and battle it. Then make the Lion your next project. If you get adicted to this hobby, you will build many boats.

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Good advice. (since it was what I was going to say.[:D])

6. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Definately build something you like! Or Japanese...but I'm not biased. Lion is faster and will play more open water games while Doria can use its shorter length to hang with other 26sec ships (WV, QE, Fuso, etc) although without any hard area you might be mroe vulnerable to stern-gun shots. Doria is a nice boat to mount a haymaker in though. ;)

7. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Great minds think a like.

8. BoomerBoy17

Alright, i just heard something about inline rudders. I was wondering if the Doria had them, and if they do, how does it effect turning, and how is it to build? If not, oh well. And what is a haymaker? Ive heard a lot of things about it(i know its a place for a cannon on a ship, but which one?), but never have i gotten a definition for it. This ties into my other question. Should I have 2 stern guns (50 rounds each) and a 75 round sidemount that I can mover between battles, or 1 75 round stern gun, and 2 50 round sidemounts?

9. Tugboat

The AD had inline rudders. Not sure how easy they'll be to implement, as I'm not familiar with that section of that ship. Someone who's built one could answer the question better :) But in general, I expect that it would allow some small amount of steering while in reverse. Not a whole lot, but more than nothing :) (If I was building one, I'd go for it and see)

Gun question... tricky. The dual sterns are much better than a single stern at punching holes in things, but the lure of having a port and starboard sidemount is powerful. I ran my I-boat both ways, but in the end, I went for the P&S sidemounts as the standard configuration. I like hug and slug with a tubby boat :)

10. BoomerBoy17

I hope someones sees this and responds,who has made this ship or a similar one because I'm leaving tomorrow for the weekend, and I'm hoping to order my parts then. I'm mostly worried about installation, and turning in forward. I would like any ideas on how to install these rudders(ill ask the guys at BC if they have any ideas) Well, if it makes a difference, I am a rookie. I just don't want to get stuck with a sidemount on one side, and nothing on the other, leaving one side open, but I don't want to only be able to shoot you with one cannon at a time. All help is welcome. Thanks

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I've seen 3 ADs in action. Also 2 Lions. They are equal ships in my mind. Just need to pick speed (lion)over better turning (AD). Neither are "super" ships. AD will not turn with QE or SoDak. Lion will not turn with Bismarck or Nagato. Neither have a ton of fire power. But they are cheaper and easier to get going then the ships with more fire power.
    The rules state that both rudders need to turn. This is pretty easy to do. You make the forward most rudder just a small post and put all the area on the stern rudder. There are pics out there someplace on the web. Since she only has two shafts use an ESC.
    I would arm both ships with twin sterns and a sidemount. Stern on AD, bow on Lion. This is an easier set up to learn for a rookie. Build it so you can change to sinlge stern and 2 sidemounts latter, if you like.
    A haymaker is a stern sidemount. They are the most deadly gun you can "Make Hay" on the other fleet.

12. BoomerBoy17

I dont want a super ship right now, I want to not attract a lot of attention, but still be able to hold my own in a fight. The only thing I see as a problem is that they are inline, but hopefully, BC will have something for that. And Ive heard alot of difficulties with ESCs, and they sound expensive too. Oh, ok, thanks for the help Bob

13. Tugboat

The big difficulty (in my mind, not having done it) is getting the forward rudder big enough to be useful, while getting the hull shape cut and formed to accomodate it. The linkage, as Bob suggests, should be no problem.

14. BoomerBoy17

I think im gonna stay with the Lion, its cheaper, faster, and it doesnt seem as difficult a build, but thanks everyone for the help

15. Tugboat

Being faster for a new builder is good, speed to escape if you make a mistake :) (Watch out for battleships pinning you against the shore! Not that I ever had that happen :)

16. BoomerBoy17

Im still not sure i think, i am having my wisdom teeth pulled monday, and then school starts thursday, but I still have to talk with my parents to finnish the deal, but Im instead going to go with the Hull and Deck Kits only, as to make buying things easier. But the Doria still catches my eye more then the Lion, I like it better i think. I still have to mull it over in my mind. But when i do get a hull kit and a deck kit, does any one have advice on waterchanneling? (ill start another topic, respond in that one, for Doria vs Lion talk, keep it here)

17. Tugboat

Wisdom teeth ain't as bad I thought it would be :) Just have lots of ice cream around...

For the ship, it's easier to keep thinking about it BEFORE you spend the money ;) Don't do the Lion if you really want to do the Doria.

18. BoomerBoy17

Well, mine are way up there, so i know it wont be fun for me, but i can deal with the ice cream. And tug, if i knew which ship i wanted to do, i would not be in the dellima. I like the Doria though, but im going to think about it some more. I guess its all up to me now, but thanks for all of the help tug

19. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Good luck with the teeth Boom

As far as your question on Speed or Turning (this is a rookie talking here) but I prefer the turning over the speed. in fast gun my 24 seconds didn’t help me after a few holes in my bow and the turning is a better evasion and would have been nice at that point. Another thing about speed is you have less room for error. so when lets say a Texas decides to turn across your bow at the last moment while you are being chased by lets say two SoDaks driven by oh I don’t know lets say Rob & I don’t know ahhh Dave, did I ever mention the Littorio makes nice big holes in Hulls with her Bow. I defiantly look at turning over speed not as I did before actually battling because lets face the thought of being able to pull away is a comforting thought before the reality of a shot followed by water robs it from you.
    My 2 cents

20. Tugboat

Ah, but Monk, the idea with a fast ship (cruiser or a 24 sec battlecruiser) is to run and gun. If you're close enough to worry about a turning evasion, you're in too close ;)