Another ESC question

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Jay Jennings, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey all, does an ESC care if you are using a digital radio or not? There are two different ones here and neither work correctly with the 75 MHz radios. Thanks, J

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I dont think so but I think the only diffrence is brushless or brushed motor

do you have the power hooked up correctly?

3. Powder Monkey

Do they work on another model [?] I guess what I’m trying to say is process of elimination if you haven’t already but I’m sure you did or you wouldn’t be asking humm

4. Jay Jennings

Yup the hook ups are correct. And we tried one ESC on both models and the other ESC only on one. I am recharging the batteries and will try again.
    J

5. Powder Monkey

can you give a little more info? type set up and so on

6. Jay Jennings

Don' t know what that is. I am brand new to ESCs and never hooked one up before this one.
    J

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well, a photo of the ESC, or a brand name would be helpful.

It's possible that you're trying to use a brushless ESC with a brushed motor, or a brushless motor with a brushed ESC. Another possibility is you used a receiver battery with an ESC that has BEC, and toasted the ESC. If it let out smoke, that's probably the cause. If you're not getting proper contacts in your power line, that could be another possible issue. You might also simply have got an ESC that was bad from the factory. That does happen occasionally. We can't begin to narrow down the possibilities unless we know what you've got and what the symptoms are.

8. Powder Monkey

do you have a power meter ?

9. Jay Jennings

I will get the details later today, I am at work now. NO smoke or the expensive smell and I checked the connections and all were good. The problem is neither ESC came with any directions so we downloaded the manual for the Proboat one but couldn't find any directions for the other, but I know it is the same one that is used in the Bristol Bay rc model.

Powder Monkey, no I don't have a power meter, just a standard digital multimeter. Checks VAC, VDC, I and R.
    J

10. Powder Monkey

okay now we are getting some where is it the Blue pro boat ESC

use the meter and check power too ESC and than with it on out of,after this we will know where we need to start. sounds stupid but I actualy had a bad motor once and was ready to smash my novac ESC back in the days of my car raceing

11. Jay Jennings

Yes it is the blue one. Input power to ESC is good, motor is good too. Forward speed is full, but there is minimal reverse rpm.
    J

12. Powder Monkey

so it is working now ?

13. Powder Monkey

I beleiv my sons is the same way witch is okay you dont want to go 100 mph in revers any ways will wash the deck [;)]

14. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

The Proboat PRB2314 has full forward and only half in reverse. I've never noticed a difference, but with right sized high rpm motors and gearboxes, and me fighting Big Gun, it's not as noticeable as it is in IRCWCC (and variants) where reverse is used a lot. I typically only reverse the motors to stop, for stationkeeping, or while in port. Also for a ship like Des Moines or Baltimore that has a transom stern, even half power in reverse is quite enough to get water over the deck and get a ship under water. :) I really like it overall for higher amp ships as it's affordable and fairly reliable. But you need to match the ESC to the application. I've found my little Espana (which has very low power requirements)likes the mTroniks Marine ECO20 better, while my Des Moines class likes the Proboat PRB2314 a lot better.

15. Powder Monkey

yup was just going to post that I checked mine it is half speed revers as well hop this helpd you if not let us know [:)]

16. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Mike uses the same one. He just sets the radio forward to 50%, then gets the ship to speed in forward and reverse. That way he does not notice the difference.

17. Jay Jennings

Alright, that is exactly what the Proboat one is doing.Funny I couldn't find that info online.
    Now the other, the one that comes with the Aquacraft Bristol Bay rc boat is numbered either AQUM 7037 (Aquacraft )or HCAM 7037 (Hobby Craft). It has full forward speed and minimal (approx 50 rpm) in reverse. Now when the throttle is at "0" it still moves forwardat a pretty good rate but when I push the stick to full reverse is when it move backwards. It is still going forward for 80 % of the reverse direction. Could that be a setup issue? We were not able to find any manual or instructions for this particular ESC. Thanks,
    J

18. Powder Monkey

Defiantly sound like a set up issue to me

19. Powder Monkey

I took the liberty of emailing the company for you here is their response

Hello,

This ESC is a replacement part for the Bristol Bay scale fishing boat model. There are no programing options for this ESC.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to reply to this message so we can refer to any previous messages) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,
    Lennie M.
    Product Support Technician
    PS9013

20. Jay Jennings

Thanks for that. I went back to the Aquacraft site and didn't see any FAQ. It's OK. I'll let Chuck know about his ESC, maybe use it a convoy ship.
    Thanks again, J