Looking For Ant Farms.

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Panzer, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

If anyone has any extra ant farms that need a good home I was hoping to try my hand at ant farming this winter while building my Derfflinger. Message me for a quick reply. thanks craig

Nick Park likes this.
  2. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

I'm into this too ;)

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I have some troubles with layer delamination on these and would be very reluctant to farm any ants on mine lest they escape into someones face. others may have better printing luck but equal concerns regarding the liability of escaping ants.

4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

I have had zero issues with layer delamination and doing an acetone bath at the end helps solidify it to keep the ants inside the farm but am also unwilling to provide farms to others. might you look into Shapeways for getting a farm made?

5. Panzer

I did some checking on shapeways and the expense to go that route was quite prohibitive.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If you're looking at ant farms to save $, then don't. There really isn't much in the way of savings for an ant farm vs buying or building a gun. The ant farms are a coil, but they have none of the fittings. You still need the Tee assembly and everything, you're just replacing a chunk of the magazine between the tee and the fill port.

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

the only time an ant farm is a saving is vs a standard 50 round coil. and figuring where and how your going to put the fill ports to they don't stick above the deck in places they will get damaged at is interesting as well.

8. Panzer

The savings i was looking at or thought of as a potential Plus was the space used, as well as how it might sit in the barbette. but shapeways quoted $800.00 and change for 12 pieces. I realize how business works, so i go back to that old saying "Kiss me first". The other side of it is showing people the use of modern tech etc. as a recruiting tool. thanks for the responses, ill have to look at another route ( wait on Tugs evaluation of the chinese Prusa i3 kit) because at the price shapeways is at, might as well look at getting my own. now to see what SWMBO says about that :laugh::p:cool::bang::crying:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  9. ish311

ish311 Active Member

hahah shapeways is absolutely ridiculously expensive. i use about 40g in plastic as i have to raft everything on my printer or i get layer issues. and you could buy and build a whole ship for what shapeways wants for 12 coils.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Might be intriguing to print a coil and cannon lower end in one of their metals, but then there's how to fit the cap on the bottom. Hmmm.

11. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Wow, that is a lot. I have a design on Shapeways that I printed and used in my Gridley destroyer. It's smaller (but still 50 BB rounds), and you have to spend some time pushing the nylon powder out of the magazine before you can use it. But it only costs 21.76 for a pair. I've enabled it for sale if you want to try it out. The file name is Magazine4 and my user name is rcengr.

Just a hint for those that use Shapeways, don't send everything in as individual parts. Make some simple sprues to connect multiple parts into one and the cost will be less. In the case of the magazines, I just put a small rod shape in between the two and it counted as one part.

Panzer, ish311 and NickMyers like this.
  12. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

What is slipways??
    Nikki

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Slipways are those rails you put under the ship so that it slides nicely into the water when launched.

If you are interested in Shapeways, I think their website https://www.shapeways.com/ will give you the best description.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Panzer and NickMyers like this.
  14. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Mark all I have to say to that is :p:p:p:p:p:p