Armoured Cruiser build weekend at Tug's shop 26/27 July 2014

Discussion in 'Steampunk Flotilla' started by Tugboat, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

That's right, we're getting it on! Let me know if you want to be a part of the production line, which will be busily engaged over 2 days at the end of July cranking out an Armoured Cruiser for each participant. Cost will be for materials, should be about $20 (one 4'x4' sheet of 1/4" ply, and part of a 3/4" thick 2'x4' piece of plywood for the water channel. Was going to use white wood plank for the channel but the ply wound up being cheaper, and it won't be warped (which a lot of the 'white wood' is). Pumps will be printed and handed out to participants as a reward for being cool. Bring your 550-size brushed motor and wire if you want to test the pump in the pool.
    Strongly recommend purchasing the spec prop with the associated stuffing tube ($14) and bringing it to the party so it can be put in. It would also be good to buy the universal joint, and a motor, and bring those, too.
    Note: If you come, you'll need a hotel room, I don't have a guest room :(
    Participants so far:
    Other Jeff L
    Astrosaint
    Tugboat (duh!) :)

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

If there's any interest in the DC region, we can setup a build session in my modestly equipped shop. Unlike Tug, I've got a few guest room's. PM if there's interest.

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Sign me up for two boats if that's possible. How far are we planning on getting with the project? Just hulls, or are we going to start mounting equipment? Also, is anyone willing to go in together on an order for those stock parts?

I ordered a Constitution kit and am gonna work on one of these steampunk ships and I still haven't finished my I-boat. My barracks room is gonna look like Tugboat's shop before long...

4. Tugboat

It's possible. I will be doing prep work starting next weekend, cutting the templates out and tracing them on the plywood. With 2 days of work, with a bunch of it done ahead of time, we can get to mounting stuff.

Don't worry about your barracks room being full of ships :) You're in the Navy!

5. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

To Tugboat:
    Where exactly is the build. I have to get Google maps to give me directions. I also am working out the trip matters with the Mrs (who issues for a scowl as I write this).:ermm:
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I need to make another trip over. I had a blast last time.

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

If I turn right, I'll hit the gulf long before morning. It's not as far away as it used to be. :)

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Just turn left before you turn right and it'll work out. Don't forget your happy thoughts!

10. Tugboat

You can put in 107 Sherwood Ct, Statesboro, GA. That's where the shop is.

11. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

To Tugboat:

Sadly, I ordered the wrong parts for spec prop and shaft. Do you have extras on hand or do I need to put in an order ? I do not think I have time to get the spec gear before the trip.
    It seems I have that weekend available. I am keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the destination. Now I can find the place.:)
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

12. Tugboat

I only ordered the one because at the time that I ordered (in June) I was the only one building and didn't know if anyone else would. Have you tried contacting them and asking for the right one? Or did it arrive at your house already?

13. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

To Tugboat:

It has already been shipped--I got the confirmation :crying: Manuel Mejia, Jr.

14. Tugboat

Still got a couple of weeks :)

What did you wind up ordering?

15. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:

I am ordering the right part today. With luck, I will have it here before the build.

I ordered a shaft, several clear plastic 2 finned props (per our old discussion on Austerity boats), dogbone, a tiller,, and a universal joint. I can use those on another vessel that I am working on. I think I will be fine

Manuel Mejia, Jr.

16. Tugboat

I think so. :)

17. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I am thinking about coming down Tug... Will be working on my VDT though.. I no longer have the Nagato and need a ship for next battle.

Make sure there is room in the cooler for IPA or Lager!

18. Tugboat

Come on down! I'll make sure there's room in the shop fridge. IBA root beer is always welcome :) HAHAHAHA!!!

19. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings from Florida:

Phil from Vac-U-Boat has been tracking the Steampunk thread. He made an interesting notation to me about sizes:
    Interesting thread. I like the creativity.
    Amazing ship designs as well.

I looked back through my notes. BB's will be 48" x 9", AC's 48" x 7.5", and PC's 44" x 5". Keeping the upper length's at 48" allows easy stock procurement at the local home center. It also allows float testing in a standard bathtub.

I would recommend dialing back the scale a bit.
    Vacuum-forming aside, if you are building with 48” material, you have to allow for the curve of the hull/deck sides and cutting/measuring waste.
    Curve a 48” piece of plywood 4-1/2 inches yields an overall length of less than 48 inches.

Plus, if you have ever mailed anything long, shipping anything longer than 48 inches is very pricey.

Keep the max length to 46 inches and you can build them easier and mail them to each other without breaking the bank.
    The shipping issue of intact hulls was probably the most interesting of observations. Is Phil correct about the 48" curve issue ? Or is it moot due to construction ?
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

20. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

From the looks of the construction, most of the wood is straight pieces. The stringer might be a bent piece (and thus might need to be slightly longer than 48" due to curvature) but is probably just cut out of flat wood like the bottom hull plate and deck.

Was someone looking to put these into production? I was thinking most of these would be built by the user for local use. Hence the simple design and construction methods to make it as easy as possible to build versus buying a premade ship.