Ballast Tanks

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Ace_Austin, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

I've seen in some rules that ballast tanks must be free flooding. Agree on that front. Has anyone tried using water ballast in non-tank form before? I'm thinking of making removable "ballast tubes" for my Saratoga. Basically it would be a PVC pipe I could fill with water/sand and then clip into place. After the battle I could drain/empty the tube and reduce the dry travel weight. They would behave just the same as lead bars or other ballast, but be easier to transport since I could empty them post battle. Would these be considered ballast tanks or just dead weight?

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If there is no way to open them or purge them within the ship, sounds like dead weight to me.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Agreed.

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yep, just a way to get her to waterline...

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

On re-reading the question, I do think that most clubs prohibit non-scale drag-producing devices being attached to the ship. If you build the ballast tanks into the hull where they would add no drag, that would be legal. A cylinder being hung from the underside would not be.

6. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

Tug, these won't be external. They'll be mounted internally to help sit her down to the scale WL.

7. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I could see using them in a large convoy ship but they'd take up a lot of space in a combat model. Lead is 5x as dense as water and compact. It wouldn' be hard to design a system that would allow lead ballast weights to be added or removed once the position of the weights for correct trim were determined.
    The model of HMS Hood I just sold to Larry Dingle has ballast made from 2 lb divers weights. Although permanently installed now it wouldn't have been hard to make the weights removeable.