batteries

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by DeletedUser, Mar 29, 2008.

1. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

um were can i get some batteries

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

allelectronics, batterymart... all over. They are "sealed lead acid".

3. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ok thanks

4. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

If you have an electronics "surplus" store nearby, that can be a good source. In my area, the best is Altex Electronics, but you should be able to find something in the Yellow Pages, etc. if you're near a large metro area.

Another possibility is a commercial battery distributor/manufacturers' rep. I got a good price on what was probably a lifetime supply of smaller SLA batteries from a local supplier. Typical applications include things like alarm systems, emergency lighting, etc. (they won't know a thing about model ships) so you'll need to be able to "speak their language" (they're used to dealing with power system engineers) & have a very good idea of what you're looking for, as well as probably be willing to buy more than 1 or 2 units.

There also are a few specialty battery retailers around, again mostly in larger metro areas. There's one near me that carries everything from hearing aid through watch, camera, up through phone system, forklift, etc. batteries - pretty much the whole spectrum of technologies, capacities, & sizes.

JM

5. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

im going to go with batterymart thanks to justinscott

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Also, do not forget http://www.batteryspace.com/ - especially for NiMh's.

However, the battery you need is dependent on the motors, etc. that you are using, the particular ship, etc. The batteries that are best for a Bismarck are not the same ones you would put in a Lutzow.

My suggestion, if you want to do this the least expensive way, is to get the ship first, then equip it to see what fits where, then obtain the batteries, etc. you need, and save the radio for last.

Everyone seems to want to do it in the reverse of that order. I know one guy who bought his radio 3-4 years ago, and still has nothing on the water. In the past 2 years prices have come down and features have gone up.

Just my .02, of course, ymmv.

Cheers,

7. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

HA! I've got some batteries (as well as motors, & various other stuff) that I bought as far back as the late 90s, intending to use them in some-or-other ship eventually. "Some-or-other" ship never got built, or even if it had, the items purchased in advance ended up being completely inappropriate (or obsolete) for their intended use in any ship. I've also got a 14- (or so) channel radio set that I bought just because it was available at the time, with the intent to use it on "some ship" someday. From what I've learned since, I'd never put a radio like that in any combat warship.

I'd expand on "get & equip the ship" a little more, even, to include making sure that the weapons fit where they need to fit. The weapons are the entire reason for a warship to exist at all, & if they don't fit - well, let's just say you've got big problems! If you build a ship that looks great, sails great, etc. with no weapons installed, then find when you go to install weapons that you've got motors installed in the way, batteries have to be moved, etc., what do you do? I'd much rather have a hull frame with weapons installed, & no motors, radio, battery, etc. than a powered, skinned, R/C sail-around with fully-detailed superstructure, paint, etc. that may or may not be able to accept its intended weapons.

I learned long ago that it's better to have weapons in hand & build whatever ship you can or want AROUND the weapons I have, than to build a ship expecting some TBD weapons to fit in there "somewhere/somehow". Even mocked-up weapons, of the same size/shape/weight can give some idea what to expect, but the real thing is always best.

I've got weapons sitting around without ships to put them in. I've also got ships' hulls sitting around, without weapons to put into them. There's no question in my mind, after trying it several times both ways, which is easier to turn into a functional warship!

I look for general rules to apply. Here's one that I've found that works particularly well for warship construction: Focus most on those things that are most unique & have the most effect on the primary purpose. Motors? Batteries? Stuffing tubes? "Dime-a-dozen", all ships have them, a lot of ways to skin that particular cat, & whatever choices I make will have negligible effect on the ship's eventual combat capability. Weapons? Every ship is different, they have to go where they have to go, & they are the whole point of the ship's existence.

My best build do date? I started with a fiberglass hull & full set of appropriate weapons that I had on-hand for a couple of years. Everything else was secondary. 2 months to complete, combat-ready, from 1st contact of material with a cutting tool.

JM

8. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ok thanks for telling me