Battlers connection/Scharnhorst/Gneisenau

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by otto, Dec 25, 2007.

1. otto

otto New Member

Hi All,
    New to this hobby and wondering if anyone has built the Scharnhorst/Gneisenau kit from Battlers Connection.
    Thanks

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I have not, but alot of people have. Rick's favorite boat at BC is a Scharny.

3. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Have done some business with them they are great. They will answer lots of stupid questions from us new guys ;-)

4. otto

otto New Member

Thanks for the replys,I think i have alot of research to do on Naval combat..I have alot of questions which might be dumb,but if don't inquire I'll never learn..And it looks like i might have posted this in the wrong section.... Thanks again Otto

5. warspite

warspite Active Member

I bought the BC Scharny kit as my first boat back in January. It is a wonderful thing. Can't say enough good things about Battlers Connection.

That being said, you need to ask yourself a few questions before buying this boat...

1) Are you sure you want to play Axis? Of course you do, who are we kidding! moving along then...

2) Do you have a manly pickup truck that can haul a five and a half foot long Tuetonic Battle Wagon? Do not underestimate how embarassed you will be when you get ready to head off to your first battle and the Scharny will not fit in your trunk!

3) Are you tough enough to trudge out into 2 feet of snow to inflate your kiddy pool so you can leak test your boat because you foolishly bought a ship that was a good foot longer than your bathtub?

Needless to say I did not consider questions #2 and #3 when I got my Scharny.

In general, the hull lines of the ship are very nice. Definitely one of the best looking ships in the hobby. It is a bit narrower than most battleships (especialy in the bow and stern), and I had a heck of a time getting the rudders installed due to the narrowness. You will also need to consider how you want to equip it out before you order (solenoid / poppets, Micro-circuits / Delta Boards, gears / rudder arms, Tripple Sterns / dual side mounts), so you do not end up with parts you do not need.

I have a ton of construction pics and shots of the kit itself if you would like to see them. I would also check out the Von Der Tann and th Konig from BC as well. They are a bit shorter (both around 4 feet long) and can be bought with superstructure, which would save you a step were you to go that direction.

Good luck!

John (in Louisiana)

6. donanton

donanton Member

Even thoug I'm building a NC, i'm not the only one whod like to see those pics (besides so I'll know where to shoot)

7. warspite

warspite Active Member

Hey all,

I just dumped a ton of pictures of my BC Scharny build in the "Construction" Forum if you want to take a look at them.

Visit this site

8. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi all ! I can not say enough kind words about BC! The do good work and will steer you right. Now The Scharnys are good ships but also if size could be a problem you defintaly want to look at the VonderTans and such.Some times speed is nice but the smaller ships will tend to have a little better turning ablity.

9. warspite

warspite Active Member

Here is a shot of the Scharny shoe-horned into my wife's brand new CRV with the back seats up (see question #2 above). I knew we should have gotten the suburban..

Size Matters!

[​IMG]

10. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

LOL, looks like my Escape when I load in the Roma, and the Yamato.

11. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Not as Bad as it looked when I brought my Des Moines down to Florida in hopes of getting her complete to Battle. Passanger seat of a 94 Caviler laid back and the Des Moines bow First to the Floorboard and Stern to the back of the Car. Also keep in mine I had Borrowed USS Huston in the back seat and she was bow and stern touching the side plastic on each side of the backseat.

12. otto

otto New Member

Took a look at the pics you posted in the construction section,my mind is made up this will be the ship for me.Next step will be an E-mail to B.C. for some info...Thanks for the help much appreciated.Now to find a club in my area..
    Thanks again

13. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

HI...
    I bought my DKM Scharnhorst in 2000,and have battled it since 2001. The guys are right about the size. She is a big ship,but if you're wanting options there are plenty of ways to arm it. Duals or triples in the stern makes a formidable ship with either a rotate on B turret, or fixed single cannon in A and B turret. (I have duals in the stern and a fixed cannon in each turret in the bow).BC is a good resource for a kit if you'd like a one stop shopping. If you want to lower your cost, there are ways to find the needed parts, but that takes a bit of time to look for them. I wouldn't make her my first bulding project, but it can be done.

There are some pics on the OAF website if you're interested..

Mark
    OAF

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I operated a Scharnhorst for two years, and my brother had a KGV for one year. We had no problem fitting those ships into our itty-bitty little Geo Prism. I leaned the passenger seat as far back as it would go, and put both battleships side-by-side on it. Then my brother would hop on the roof, and we'd be off. Someone else I know brought a Bismark to the battle pond in a Mini Cooper for several years.

15. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

djranier how many ships do you have?

16. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Hi Otto..
    I bought a Scharnhorst hull from BC about 6yrs ago. I set it up with dual stern cannons, and a 50 in A turret, 75 in B turret. Its a good fighting ship. You could consider triple stern cannons and a single rotate in B turret too....Lots of space to handle all the guts..You won't be disappointed with this ship.

Mark
    OAF