Bayern / Baden plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by HorribleHarry, May 24, 2013.

1. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

Does anybody here know of a good planset for these ships? Are the Taubmanns any good?
    I just need general layout stuff not every rivet.
    Ok who am I kidding, yes every rivet.

Thank you for looking,
    Harry

2. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

I meant the taubmann cheapies not the $125 ten sheet set..
    Thanks.
    HH

3. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

All I got are some crappy Russian ones that don't show a whole hell of a lot.

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

The Russian SMC plans for Bayern available on Taubmans for $22 are probably OK, they would be "acceptable" for making a model. If you want better plans, I would suggest getting the set on http://mz-modellbau.net. They are 70 euros, but they are likely the best ones you can easily get (I have them and they are well worth the price).

5. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Here's another option for you. This ebay seller sells the same plans Chase referred to, but for much cheaper.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Planmappe-L...565633cdea
    They are selling for 29 euros (~$38 US) + shipping. I've bought from them before, and never had any problems. And these plan sets are awesome.

6. absolutek

Those ones on ebay are 1:250. The ones i got are 1:100. Probably wouldn matter much for our purposes though.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Doesn't Miyukikai have Baden plans? He has a few non-Japanese ships and I think that's one of them.

8. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Personally, I'd get the larger scale if I could afford it. But either way you have to get the plans you buy resized to either 1/144 or 1/96, depending on your format, so the scale of the originals isn't as big of a deal. I prefer my original plans to be 1/250 or larger before resizing, so the cheaper ones would work fine for me. YMMV

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I've got the smaller Koop&Schmolke plans and they're fantastic. I would have no problem blowing them up and building from them.

10. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Check this link out for some FREE Baden plans: http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=82

Enjoy,
    Beaver

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

How accurate are the free baden plans Beaver posted above? I downloaded all of the drawings, and I also have a set of russian plans I was given. The russian plans don't show the hull frames very clearly, and the free plans above show them quite nicely, but there are some drawings that don't look anything like Bayern/Baden. Just trying to figure out if the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here.

12. absolutek

The plans in the link beaver posted are from a Russian magazine. Some of the drawings may have been from other warships or prototype drawings, you'd have to read the magazine for the actual description of each drawing. As for the accuracy, not sure, you wouldn't know until you resized them to see if all the dimensions check out.

13. Beaver

Those different drawings up on top are different ships. I'm not good at reading Russian, but I recognize the last two ships on the top right to be the Friedrich Der Grosse and the Konig. I believe these drawings are pretty accurate. The hull lines are definitely not scale with the top and side profiles that it came with, so some rescaling will be needed.
    Also, there are not very good side and top profiles there, so you might want to find a better set and scale them to size. I think it's a good enough set for our purposes. :)

Beaver

14. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Don't mean to keep beating the dead horse, but this is directly related to this topic so I figured I'd just post here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm familiar enough with GIMP to get myself in trouble, so I resized the two different sets of Baden/Bayern plans I have and compared their frame drawings. I'm trying to figure out which set of drawings is the better to use for printing out and tracing onto wood for building my Baden.

I've resized the two sets of plans and overlayed them ontop of each other to compare them. The "German" plans as I call them are lacking some ribs, showing only even numbered ribs (except for 1 and 19). The "Russian" plans that I got from the website Beaver posted have all of the ribs and then some, going all the way up to 22 (and including 21 1/2). My issue is that the Russian plans from Beaver don't line up quite right when overlayed onto the German plans. The Russian plans are "shorter" if you will. I'd like to use the German plans as they seem to be more "legit" (The fact that they're in the right language is +10 legitimacy points) but due to the lacking ribs and my inexperience, I'm afraid to try and "fill in the blanks" and guess at the missing rib locations/shape. According to the RibCalc program I saw used on the Bearn CV build thread, the Baden should get 17 1/4" ribs (specifically 17.5, but it says to round down. This includes 3" of impenetrable space, 1" stern 2" bow) , a number that neither of these plans share :pinch:

I guess I'm trying to get someone to take a look at the .xcf file I have prepared with these two frame drawings overlayed and point me in the correct direction. I've posted a link to said file, but I'm not sure if that violates any rights related to the plans I've taken them from. (Both sets are available freely online, so I can't imagine there being any rights issues.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0jrv5447p0znbn/HullFramesCombined.xcf

-Will T

15. Beaver

I can't access your file, but with with what I've seen, not every set of plans are going to have the exact ribs pattern that others do. Now you said that both sets are open freely online, could you post a link so that we could look at them.:)

Beaver

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hard to read with them superimposed like that. Just pick one and go with it :)

17. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

They're on separate layers so one could set the top layer as invisible/ adjust transperency. The Russian plans have lots of information...might run with those. Still like the German plans since they're in the right language.

My biggest concern is I'm not sure how to convert either of these plans to an acceptable number of ribs. Never done this before and the Edgar Quinet and Bearn CV builds both used the actual number of frames on the plans...which won't work here. What would one do? Can't just leave a frame out o_O According to the rib calculator I'm allowed 17 1/4" ribs with 2" of bow hard area and 1" of stern. The German plans come close at 19 ribs but are lacking all of the odd # ribs except 1 and 19.

18. Beaver

Just erase as many ribs as you need to. Not a real big deal. :) As for which set of plans to go with that is your choice. If I build a Baden, I 'm going to go with the Russians.
    They're free and, as far as I know, accurate.

Beaver

19. Beaver

Here is another set of Baden plans. http://wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponBook/Bayern/Draw/index.htm

Beaver

20. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

That second set of plans you posted, those are the "German" plans I have. Sorry, I couldn't find the link. I like the wunderwaffe plans, but they omit every other rib on the frames drawing. They go 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19. Leaving me with 11 ribs if I just went with those plans and didn't question anything. If I upped from 1/4 ribs to 3/8 ribs that would work, leaving 2" of bow area and 1" of stern.

What do you think? German Wunderwaffe plans with 11 3/8" ribs, or Russian plans with some ribs removed for 17 1/4" ribs?