BB-27, USS Michigan Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Astrosaint, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Back in the summer, I started work on a "practical" combat ship. I did some thinking and I decided to build the USS Michigan, BB-27, the first dreadnaught to be authorized for construction (before the HMS Dreadnaught itself). I also was one of the first to adopt the super firing vs wing turret or hex shape arrangement
    . 100_4157b.jpg

The above image was taken before I added the single prop and motor. I am not an advance builder and I minimize my use of epoxy due to a violent skin sensitivity to the stuff.

100_4162.JPG

The super structure is fabricated in 3 sections with the stern holding the cannon.

I since added prop shaft, rudder, and propeller from Vac-u-Boat. The motor is a 550 direct drive powered by a 7.2 volt that is to be mounted amidships. I am waiting for the pump to better get the layout setup.

Manuel Mejia, Jr.

Addendum:
    100_4161.JPG
    The stern section of the superstructure is held in place with a pair of wing nuts. I decided to mount the cannon independent of the display turrets and run the copper muzzle through the oak wood block to hold it in place. I am attaching the small disposable cartridge regulator the underside of the aft deck. Behind the oval where I thread the cannon, I have a wooden peg that will hold the cannon in place with a nylon strap. The bow deck plate is also held in place with a wing nut. I use screw eyes and twist ties to hold the center deck in place. The twist ties go to screw eyes in the front deck as well as the stern deck.

Manuel Mejia, Jr. 12/12/2014

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014