Best 2.4 GHz Radio?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by eljefe, Jul 6, 2009.

1. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I think I'm going to switch over to a 2.4 GHz radio. What brands / models are most recommended?
    I need at least 5 channels.

2. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

I changed to the Futaba 6EX, six channel in 2.4 GHz, which I got online at Tower Hobbies. The radio transmitter, receiver and battery is about $200.00 dollars and they even have a rebate going on right now. Take a look and see if it meets your needs.

Steve

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well, if you're a technical sort of a guy and you don't mind a radio that's a bit harder to set up than other brands, Hobby King makes a great 6-channel model for an incredible price of $33 plus shipping (from Hong Kong). It's got a lot of nifty features, including programming on the PC and - great for Big Gunners - TWO knobs for channels 5 and 6. That puts it way ahead of most 6-channel radios, which usually have one dial and a 2- or 3-position switch, and light-years ahead of the Spektrum 6-channel, which only has a pair of buttons for channels 5 and 6. It has lots of great programming options from EPAs and dual rates to mixes and other fun stuff. Another great plus is that the receiver is actually TWO separate receiver units, tethered together by a data link cable. This allows you to place the two units in two different locations to maximize your reception. In my Viribus Unitis, I placed one unit on each side of my 48 cu.in. HPA tank. While the aluminum HPA tank blocked the 2.4ghz signal to one receiver, the other always had a clear signal, and I never had a problem.

Alas, all the benefits come with a downside: the radio can ONLY be programmed with a PC. It doesn't even have manual servo reversing. So if you need to do adjustments like servo reversing, throttle EPA, etc. pondside, you need a laptop with a USB port. This hasn't been a problem for me, since I correctly programmed all the trims, servo reverse, and EPA for my Viribus the night before, but I also have an old klunker laptop just in case.

By the way, also on the Hobby King website, I spotted a few plug-in 2.4ghz modules for Futaba and other radios that use modules instead of crystals. These are more expensive than the HK 2.4ghz radio, but if you've already got a TX you like, and you just want the 2.4ghz ability...

4. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I also have a futaba 6E FASST radio and it is the best radio I have used or owned. It will do everything you will need it to do.

5. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I have both Spektrum, and the Futaba, bought the Spektrum first. But what I use is the Futaba, now what to do with the 3 Spektrums that I have?

6. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Sell them on E-Bay

Or offer them to new skippers who need some help in getting started.

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I'd (and did) choose the Futaba FASST over the Spektrum, but the Spektrum is a solid radio too.

8. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Thanks for the info! I'll have to do some more research on these options.

9. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Do not forger the Eurgle. Like the Hobby King, not for the newb or faint of heart. No manual except online and a learning curve, but an 8ch 2.4gHz for about $100 counting express shipping. http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61207

First one underwent battle testing in the NTXBG on 8/23/2009. No gotchas found yet.

WARNING, you will want to know in advance about the "switch error" indicator, or you will think you broke it soon after you get it.

Cheers,

10. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

After researching and reading numerous reviews, I think I'm going to play it safe and go with the Futaba 6EX FASST:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...LXPZT8&P=7

The Eurgle model was tempting but reviews talked about shoddy wiring and software bugs. Reviews for low-cost units from China, like the Hobby King, also said cheap parts and poor workmanship were an issue.

I'd rather pay more for something I have a high level of confidence in. Plus, no one else in my local club uses equipment like that so I'd be on my own debugging any problems.

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

The Futabe 6EX is nice - I have one. I like it The RXs are a tad on the expensive side at about $100, ea. If I were flying a $3,000 heli, that is probably the way I would go.
    However, for RC Model Warship Combat..... I have 4 of the $33 6 ch Hobby Kings. They actually have 6 proportional channels (the 6EX does not - two channels are on-off only), so you can replace a pot on the HK with an on-off-on switch and a couple of resistors to get 2 3-way switches. Or a couple of pushbuttons and resistors for 4 fire buttons. Kind of like The Vex 75mHz system (which is made by Futaba).
    As for quality, the HKs are surprisingly nice, solid, and easy to mod. Plus, if you screw it up, you have only cost yourself a $33 radio (OK, with express shipping and programming cable, $60). And extra RXs are only $15.
    For Model Warship Combat, I personally prefer a radio I can treat hard, and if it dies, replace it easily and cheaply - same with the RX if it takes a round (magic BB going past the blast shielding).
    But, if you want (and can offord) the Futaba, you will probably be happy with it. Again, I like mine. Just that, for Warship Combat, I like the HK better.

Cheers,

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I had a Hobby King 6ch RX sink last month. No waterproofing or protection of any sort, and it spent over a half hour sitting on the bottom while we filmed and photographed other sunken ships. One alcohol bath later, and the only problem was that it had come unbound from its TX. It is going back into action tomorrow.

13. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Someone in my local club convinced me to go with this Airtronics 8 channel model instead. It has all the features I liked about the Futaba plus 2 extra channels and a really good Labor Day sale price.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp

This is now my only ship radio since I sold my 75 MHz one, but I think I may also get one of the Hobby Kings in the future to experiment with. If it works as well as you say, I may make it my primary ship radio and transfer the Airtronics to my planes.

14. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

I got a 6 channel one made by e-sky for 99€ and it works a treat, even at 200 mtrs. Tried and tested, without putting extra antenae.
    There are a couple of things I had to do to make it work as I wanted as 2 channels are on/off. I just put a pot on them and got digital movement.
    for the left right I put SWs and got on/off. Its got connectors which fit futaba servos and is small and light (for planes and helecopters) and it came with batteries and a charger

15. wrenow

wrenow RIP

For what is worth, for those kind of interested in the Hobby-King or Turborix 2.4 gHz radios, it appears there is a new US vendor carrying them uncer the Exceed brand. www.hobbypartz.com/exrc62tr.html
    The other good news, it appears to come with the software (no need to find and download it), programming cable, and an actual printed box.;) A little more newb friendly. Not terribly greatly inflated pricewise, either all things considered.

Cheers,

Wreno

16. cozger

cozger New Member

futaba 12ch FG 2.4ghz dozens of functions not a single glitch :) the only system that challanges 14mz.