Best Electronic Speed Controller for Class 7 BB

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Miller7D, May 31, 2011.

1. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Hey all,
    I'm getting to that point in my build where I'm looking at ESCs for my Iowa-class, specifically the Viper Marine 40 that Strike Models sells. Firstly, the boat will be a 6-volt setup, eventually containing three 6v 12ah SLAs powering two 550 motors along with all the rest for an eventual full-combat fast-gun rig. Secondly, will the Viper Marine 40 do the job, or would a more potent speed controller be better for what I'm doing? Mind you, I'm not looking for the best and brightest, I'm just looking for what will do the job to let me get the monster on the water and putter around looking pretty. My radio will be a Futaba FASST 6-channel if that affects anything.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If you're gearing down the 550s the 40 should do the job just fine. you should consider putting a fuse inline between them and the ESC though just in case. a stalled 550 can pull 80+ amps.

3. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

I should have mentioned that because of my driveshaft setup, I'm not able to gear down my 550s, but will be direct-driving them.

4. NickMyers

not to be rude, genuinely interested here - how can you not fit gearboxes into an iowa?

Direct drive you're going to be working the motors a lot more and pulling a lot more juice, you might want to look at one of the 550 variants (555s maybe?) that are higher torque and lower rpm. if you can, before you spend on an ESC put it in the water and hook the motors up direct to the battery and put a current meter on them, see what the in water draw is.

5. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

The original intent was to gear down the shafts, but when I consulted with some folks on the situation, my main driveshafts--which were done for me by my hull's original owner--wouldn't accept a gear-driven setup because the diameter of the shafts themselves was the wrong size. The skegs were already built, and I didn't want to cut them off and rebuild from scratch; opinions from folks with a lot more experience than me said to keep the current shafts and direct-drive.

6. NickMyers

interesting... whats the shaft diameter?

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Probably 3/16 shafts, a very comon size in the scale ship arena.

Not a show stopper though. A dogbone or universal setup would let you connect the shafts to gearboxes without having to rip out the shafts.

8. NickMyers

I would either sleeve a 1/8" shaft on the bearing areas or go with the dogbone/universals to the gearboxes if the shafts are meant to be 3/16. sleeving 1/8" shaft would allow you to use the brass props so readily available in our hobby as well

9. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

My drive shafts are actually 1/8 inch. Now, if I stayed with the mayhem of direct drive on a class 7 battleship, how much harder are the motors working? What sort of motors should I look at to account for the extra work they'll be doing?

10. NickMyers

I really don't know for sure what sort of amp draw you'd end up at per motor. it depends a lot on the size of the prop you're swinging, if there is any sort of binding on your bearing surfaces, corrosion internal to the motor. Assume 'significantly harder than if you swung the same size prop on a 2:1 gearbox'.

To hop up on my soapbox for a moment, gearboxes will allow you to switch pinions to get close to speed (and use your end point adjustment for your throttle to finetune), allow your motors to run at a happier rpm, increase your torque and conserve battery power. It keeps your motors a bit further out of the bilge water, which prolongs their life by reducing corrosion. I firmly believe that is in every way except noise, space requirements and additional parts, a win. I know it is very tempting to say 'eh, its easier to dogbone up some motors directly to the propshafts' and 'i don't like sounding like a set of crazed eggbeaters' but I really do believe it is worth doing.

If you want a ridiculous motor for the job in direct drive, the big 970s are completely insane and a pair of them would drive your Iowa happily around the pond I'm sure.

11. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

We had a guy show up with an Iowa a few years ago with direct drive 550s and he didnt last long. It melted the wiring ! Mikey deskin helped put 700s in it over night. Worked fine next day. If you use the battlers connection gear bos on the motors and then a dog bone to your shaft and use like a 1.5 to 1 ratio you might make it.
    Buddy

12. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend around a 2.5 to 1 ratio in the gearbox with standard 550 type motors on 6 volts. Two motor gearbox setups pushed the Richelieu around pretty well though lacked enough torque for tight turning in the very competitive fast gun battling.

If you are not concerned with hitting fast gun speeds and plan on going with a scale'ish slower speed, the gearbox route is definitely the way to go.

13. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Lots of good info here, thanks guys. As for speed, yes, I do plan on battling at fast gun speeds sometime in 2012, but this year I'm solely concerned with getting the monster on the water and laying the groundwork for a conversion to combat readiness. Having looked at Stokamoto's Missouri build thread, I see he's got two gearboxes dogboned from his motors to his shafts, and that route seems like it'll be the best way to go about it, though I do hope that the eventual speeds will be at the fast gun rate.

As for that one fellow melting his wiring with directly-driven 550s, what was his setup to cause wires to melt? Were the motors pulling that much juice or was his speed controller improperly set...? My short-term goal is to get on the water by July to putter around, but I'd rather not put to sea and then end up sunk because of an onboard fire.

14. NickMyers

Amp draw vs wire gauge. pull too many amps through too thin of wire and you get melty melty and if yorue really unlucky, fire in places it doesnt belong

15. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Makes good sense; here I was thinking it was something else.

16. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

All my twin 550's are running direct drive. I have a Arizona@28lbs and a sodak @36lbs. I have them dogboned and running direct with no esc. Use heavier wire (of course) and bring it down to speed with the drag discs.
    No fires and no problems.

17. NickMyers

Ooo, data points. Couple questions for you then... What size props, 6v or 12v system, hows your acceleration from dead stop and hows your battery runtime? Have you ever put a current meter on it in the water to see what the draw is from the drive motors? (I just recently acquired a clamp-on meter that can do DC current and its been most informative).

18. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Data points indeed. Especially since his heaviest ship will be at least eight to ten pounds lighter than mine, heh, but nevertheless, that is good to know; thanks Iceman :)

When it comes to my ship, I'll be running 1.5-inch 35-pitch 4-blade screws, made by the good folks at Strike Models. I could have gone bigger, but I wanted to make sure I had room between the blades and the bottom of my hull; the skegs looked a touch close, so I gave myself breathing room. I will be running an ESC, though, just because I don't see myself being able to run without one (I didn't get the kit to do the MAG servo throttle setup deliberately).

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

ok answers...
    6 volt system, two 12 amphr bricks in parallel
    1 3/4 prop, 35 pitch
    acceleration and turning rocks
    My three friends with iowas have all run twin 55o's direct with no problems either
    lasts about 45 minutes constant battling

20. NickMyers

Sorry, more questions :)

After 45min is that 'batteries are definately done, don't sail more than 10 ft from shore' or is that 'starting to be noticeably slower'?

Are your 550's johnson or mabuchi, and do you know know the 'on bench' RPMs you're getting?

As you can see, I'm a huge fan of data points, so much so that I've considered putting an optical tach (and some other toys) in my boat slaved to some logging hardware.