Best way to drill gun pin holes

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Beaver, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Wanted to put this out there since it has worked better for me than any other technique I've seen and doesn't require a drill press.
    For me, the hardest part of drilling barrels, especially stainless ones, has been getting the drill started. Most recommend center punching or sanding the end flat with a belt sander. Center punching is extremely difficult on a rounded surface and sanding creates a weaker spot on the most abused end of the barrel.
    This is what I've found works great!
    The ball end engraving bit that came with your dremel easily puts a rounded divot on the barrel, similar to a center punch but much easier to accomplish. I know the pictured barrel is brass but this works just as well with stainless.
    PXL_20240331_180842407.jpg

And then you can easily drill the pin hole with a hand drill or dremel depending on what you have. I don't even use a vice or clamp. I drill mine out to 1/8" because I use heavy pins.
    PXL_20240331_181036612.jpg PXL_20240331_181111612.jpg

Hopefully this helps some of you out there.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

clever!

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Where was this gem of knowledge two weeks ago? Just finished drilling out 5 gun barrels! LOL. Great idea.

Beaver likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I have had great intentions of posting lots of general gun knowledge on here. A bit lax on actually doing it. Eventually I hope to have a full guide to building a gun without needing any fancy or expensive tools. One day...

Evan Fowler likes this.
  5. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

I'm making barrels right now, thanks for the tip!

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

No worries. Glad its out there now. Looking forward to reading your guide on building guns.