Big Gun Cannon wanted.

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Dexter Ball, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Dexter Ball

Dexter Ball Member

Hello big gun captains.

I am building a DKM Bismarck model from Strike Models and would like to make it big gun. Strike models isn't selling big gun cannons yet, and if I try building a big gun cannon myself it probably won't work out. So I was wondering if there was anyone willing to sell a big gun cannon.

thanks

-Dexter

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Your best bet for getting big gun cannons is to buy a ship with the correct cannon type already in it, and then use them in your boat.

Beaver

3. Dexter Ball

Dexter Ball Member

Thank you for the info, Beaver.

I suppose a big gun ship would be rather costly, right?

-Dexter

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The cannons alone are pretty costly, and very hard to come by right now. The only easy-to-get cannons at the moment are fast gun (BB) cannons.

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Assuming for a moment you find someone building/selling some they will run you between $150-$275 per turret. Stephen at Strikemodels is getting closer to having them in production but it will still be sometime before they are available. I am not trying to scare you off big gun, I love it and couldn't imagine myself doing any other format.

Honestly, your best bet is to get your hands on a used ship with guns and learn the systems and how the guns operate, then you will be able to have fun while perfecting your ship as well as learn how the guns are suppose to work so you could potentially build your own.

6. Dexter Ball

Dexter Ball Member

Thanks for the advice. There are several rc naval combat members in the area, so there will probably be a club. I can gather more info on big gun cannons there and then hopefully be able to one day build some big gun cannons for my DKM Bismark.

-Dexter

7. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

I have a questions about the big guns. Assuming you borrow some designs from the fast gun, how many 1/4" "slugs" should a big gun carry ? Would 10-20 be a good number ? Does it have to be on mobile turrets ? I would think a fixed platform cannon would be less costly. Could it be made from PVC plastic ? Sinking seems to be fun part of the hobby but paint balls can be an aspect that would make the electronics have a longer shelf life.

Just a thought.

A of Astatula

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Astrosaint, the average Big Gun cannon carries a minimum of 50 rounds per barrel, often 75+ rounds per barrel. 10-20 rounds is woefully insufficient EXCEPT for torpedoes, at which point you're usually better off with muzzle-loaders. To date, I have not seen a fixed barrel cannon setup that is less expensive than a proper multi-barrel cannon setup (complete installation). I have also seen some experiments with 6mm paintballs but they have been unsatisfactory for both RC tanks (for which they were invented) and for our use. At the very least, they could not be used in any existing cannon system without bursting in the barrel 90% of the time.