Big Gun Cannons - Let's get more ships on the water!

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by BigGunJeff, Dec 30, 2023.

1. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I commonly hear that there is no vendor for Big Gun Cannons, and that holds back the Big Gun folks quite a bit. After building cannons for ~ 8 years, I like this design and am willing to help others get on the water with it. It's currently set up for 0.25" in a triple configuration, but can be configured otherwise including a sweet little reloading triple torpedo cannon. The current Bill of Materials comes out to ~$70 not including assembly labor. Let me know if anyone wants to build with these and we can figure out how to make it happen. I am machining 18 sets of the accumulator/valve bases and can work with interested parties in how to complete them. Happy Battling!
    Slide1.JPG Slide2.jpg Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG Slide6.JPG Slide7.JPG Slide8.JPG

Attached Files:

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Fantastic write up!

I can't tell how the depression is working? Are you flexing the plastic which the barrel is attached?

3. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

Are these based on the 3dp variations of the canons?... It looks to be from how the barrels are attached to the magazine.

4. BigGunJeff

Yes, the components that do the ammo handling and serve as the lower part of the barrel and barrel bend are printed in flex material. That material in addition to features designed to promote bending allow depression of the barrels. I have a version of this on a Gascogne quad turret that I used this past year and it works really well.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  5. BigGunJeff

Yes. 3DP for most of the magazine components and ammo pathway. Stainless steel barrels though. The accumulator is mostly aluminum.

6. JustinScott

Whats the flex material that you are using? Id like to throw some depression into my cannon design.

7. BigGunJeff

8. JustinScott

TPU; Got it. Yup I have some of that, just don’t feed it into the AMS.

9. BigGunJeff

Oh, you're right... I don't use the AMS either. I've been looking at the Prusa XL because you can print mixed TPU/Non-TPU designs. That would be pretty cool, but it's a bit expensive for me right now.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well consider me interested.

11. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Absolutely interested. I can’t believe I missed this post 9 years ago :/

12. Nateseadog

Nateseadog Active Member

Yes also interested, looks like a great design!

13. Huru MorDae

Huru MorDae Active Member

tempted to pick up a set of 3 just for review to slap in my roma

14. BigGunJeff

First batch in process. I have 17 copies of the accumulator/ firing mechanism almost done. These are the machined bits. I can then finish the top half with printed parts as needed. PXL_20240114_192257267.jpg

15. TorpCruiser

TorpCruiser Active Member

Fantastic! Thx for sharing this.

More details about- "but can be configured otherwise including a sweet little reloading triple torpedo cannon.".

Also, would this set-up be able to feed more than one turret?? Say, 3 single cannon turrets?

Thx again!

16. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Nice design. Is there a spring pushing against the flapper to hold it closed once the pressure equalizes? If so, what are you using for a spring? I have had trouble getting the spring right on negative pressure cannons in the past.

Are you printing the entire flapper in something like TPU or Tenacious or is the seal a separate part?

[Edit] I just realized that this might be like the old potato gun manifold designs - so you are just relying on the difference in surface area. The whole flapper has some give and deliberately bleeds around the edges more easily in one direction. Very cool.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  17. BigGunJeff

Here's an image of the torp cannon version. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but it fought well in the battles it has seen. Hold around 100 rounds.

On the single cannon turrets, I'm not sure how that would work. It would have plenty of power, but how do you get it to different turrets in different locations? Have to know more.
    2022-05-13 18.24.36.jpg

Nateseadog and mabgfounder like this.
  18. BigGunJeff

The seal is flexible like a lip seal in hydraulics. Flows easily in one direction (the charging direction) but forms a seal in the opposite to ensure crisp valve opening. No springs needed.

mabgfounder likes this.
  19. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Would you mind posting some better images of the flapper? I am eager to experiment with the idea.

20. BigGunJeff