Big Gun Rotation Drive Belt

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by bear23462, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Good Evening All,
    I am in the process of building my Big Gun platform for my "A" and "B" turrets. I ran into a snag when I tried to find a drive belt for my sail winch servo to the "A" cannon and the direct drive belt from "A" turret to "B" turret. What are people using for these drive belts and where can I find them? Thanks for any help that anyone may be able to provide.

2. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I have used 1/8" o-ring material from the Fastenall "make your own o-ring" kit, large rubber bands, and coated linkage cable run around and screwed into each magazine.

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I just use gas line and join the ends with a short section of threaded rod.

4. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Concerning a three turret ship. For turrets that will be slaved together I like using stainless steel wire to "hard" link them. Then use a drive system on just one magazine that can "slip" to avoid damage. Then a "slip" drive on the single magazine. If you use a drive system that can slip to link the two together that are up front then one can get bumped and interfere with the other.
    Das Butts

5. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Mike,
    The stainless steel wire you use, is it salt water fishing line / leader? Could you take a couple of pictures of it? Thanks in advance.
    Ken

6. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

That was an old ship I no longer own. Anything like said fishing leader a couple feet long will work. Fasten one end to a magazine groove with a machine screw, wrap it 360 around the magazine, run it around both magazines, then around to the one that doesn't have a 360 wrap and give it one (fasten with machine screw). It is effectively a double pull setup.
    Michael Butts

7. Volkswagen50

Volkswagen50 Admiral (Supporter)

McMastercarr sells mimiature drive belts and pullies, actually sprockets. In several sizes. The 3inch one was was cheap, maybe 11 bucks? I figured I could mount it to the bottom of the turret or possible hollow out its inside to make a ring gear to fit. The belts are cogged, no slippage. Just a thought.

8. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

There is a particular material that is commonly used in the WWCC, I think its called polycord. You've seen it used in many of the albums of ship construction I linked to on the WWCC gallery a little while ago: the green cord in all of Ben's ships. It can easily be cut to length and re-melted back together. I don't remember why it is so popular (maybe Kotori remembers) but many captains swear by the stuff. Its great for rotation systems where you allow for some slip to prevent damage in the inevitable bumps and collisions with other ships, stuff on the workbench, and doorways when moving your boat around.

9. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Thanks all, I appreciate all the input, it gives me a few avenues to persue. I will keep you abreast.on what worked best for me.