Big Gun Ships

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by JohnmCA72, Apr 6, 2009.

1. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

• Baltimore-class CA: 3 @ triple 3/16", all rotating, no depression.
    • Nelson-class BB: 3 @ triple 1/4", all rotating with depression.
    • Hood-class BC: 4 @ twin 1/4", all rotating with depression.
    • South Dakota-class BB: 3 triple 1/4", all rotating with depression.
    All above complete, ready to fight with minor work, charging, gas. All include radios, batteries, gas bottles.
    For more info, e-mail johnm at boreal dot org.
    JM

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

The only thing that is missing is pricing and photos.

3. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

That, and any interest.
    Prices are "negotiable", as with most everything else.
    I'll see about posting some photos somewhere. I've been pretty busy lately.
    JM

4. CWebster

CWebster Member

John, I've been trying to contact you regarding the above. Email me at clweb at prodigy dot net
    Thanks!

5. kal skirata

kal skirata New Member

hi... how would the baltimore-class cruiser cost. i want to join and i would like to build on but that seems a bit expensive and im enexperianced.

6. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Sorry, I don't get on the board much these days...
    As noted before, prices are "negotiable". However, I'd start with the "$150 Rule" & work from there. The ship has had a major refit, & all worked well "on the bench", but hasn't had an on-the-water shakedown since. Some time has elapsed since the refit, so it's probably going to need another clean-up.
    JM

7. kal skirata

kal skirata New Member

thanks for the reply.. can i see some pictures the ship plz.

o yes this will be my first ship.. im brand new to this hobby and was thinking that i could build one myself.. but i was horibbly wrong.. so ive been looking for some one selling a ship.. and the ship your selling is one of the ones i was wanting to build myself... this will be a big thanks.
    and what does it mean by "no depression."
    :D
    thanks.

8. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

"No depression" means that there isn't any variable barrel-level control on the radio. The barrel elevations are all fixed. They can be hand-adjusted on the bench, but can't be "aimed" in the vertical plane while you're out on the water.
    I don't have any recent photos of the ship, but its initial building was chronicled on the http://www.ntxbg.org website.
    JM

9. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

John, your 150 rule comment has confused a few people. I think ben is expecting to buy your baltimore for $150 total.

You might want to clarify, a la put some price ranges up! :)

10. kal skirata

kal skirata New Member

o...k..... its kind of difficult for me to get $150 but in a month i probably could have it...

and thanks for the pics...

would this be a good beginner ship for big gun?
    and well i do under stand that you are probably going to raise the price acordingly.

11. kal skirata

kal skirata New Member

how much work would it need to be worked on to be set back in the water and ready for battle?

12. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

OK, for the benefit of those who may not know, the "$150 Rule" provides a "ballpark" price/cost estimate for building a Big Gun armed warship. Basically, it assumes that every major subsystem costs about $150, give or take:
    $150: Hull
    $150: Radio
    $150: Per armed turret, torpedo bank, or other weapon.
    $150: CO2 delivery system.
    $150: Motors, shafts, props, glue, paint, other misc. items.
    Add 'em up: A ship with 3 armed turrets should cost about $1050, not accounting for labor.
    JM

13. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Multiply $150 by 7 (1* hull, 1 * CO2 system, 3* turrets, 1 * radio, 1 * misc.) & we'll have a starting point for negotiations.
    Baltimore-class cruiser (I presume that's what you're asking about) as a Big Gun beginner ship? It was my 1st, & having been there & done that, I'd say "No, start with something a little bigger & easier to work on." That said, it served my purposes well & I know of others who did fine with similar ships as their firsts.
    JM

14. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

That's really hard to say. All of them could be taken into battle right now, with nothing more than charged batteries, gas, & ammo. Last time I checked, they were all fully functional on the bench. They've been sitting for awhile, though, so I'd expect some cleanup, lube, replacement of some "soft" parts, etc. to be in order. Knowing my way around their internals the way I do, I'd expect to spend at least a couple of hours on each just to make sure everything moves the way it's supposed to, doesn't bind, stick, or leak, etc. Items that might need attention will add to that time, as will getting familiar with the layout. If I were buying a used ship, I'd expect to spend at least a full day tearing everything apart just to learn how it all works, then another day (or more) putting it back together. I'd also probably modify a few things to suit my own preferences, since no 2 builders to everything the same.
    JM