Brushed ESCs and Motors

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by GeekSpeed, Jan 10, 2014.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hey gang. I am comparing brushed and brushless setups for my cruiser build. I am wondering what the current favorite brushed ESC is for a dual 540-sized motor setup. I am running 6v SLA batteries.

Thanks!

2. Tumor

Tumor Member

Hi there, a very popular ESC for a brushed setup is the Viper marine 25. Made by Mtroniks. They come in a variety of Amp ratings aswell.

3. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Proboat is rated for 50 amps, use one in my South Dakota running 2 Johnson 550s. No problems !!
    Buddy

4. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

Wasn't there something about the Proboat only having 1/2 power for reverse?
    Barry

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Doug in Houston runs this: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/waterproof-esc-with-reverse-4-8-12v-PRB2314#t1
    He has run them as long as I have known him and they have done the job as well or better than mtroniks. I am fairly sure the reverse is 100% but would have to call in to be sure.
    I just searched the manual and the robot site and was unable to find anything that said reverse was 50%.

7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I have used several of those, one in a Kongo I borrowed for a few years, and another in my VDT. The reverse is not 100% unfortunatly, but it never mattered as I just used appropriate gearing choices & the end point adjustments on my tx to equal it out. Here is the manual for that esc: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/revma.pdf

8. SteveT44

If you want to say goodbye to pre-school and move up to a real man's brushed ESC, I'd suggest the Talon controller.
    http://www.andymark.com/Talon-p/am-2505.htm

True 100% forward and reverse, 60A continuous, and 100A surge. We use these in our 1:6 scale tanks and so far have proven bullet proof. I haven't run one on a boat yet but will in my VU this season (after water-proofing of course). They do not have a BEC so you will have to supply the 5V by another means. These are industrial quality and hardened for robot combat.

9. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

ooooo....that looks nice! Thanks for sharing!

10. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

11. SteveT44

My other hobby is RC Tank Combat. Instead of BB's they shoot paintballs. Read all about it at rctankcombat.com.
    One of my early tanks, the T34-85!
    [​IMG]

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Would one of those ESCs handle an EV Warrior (I know it's old-school at this point, but I have 2 of them sitting around...)

13. SteveT44

We've only battle tested the Talons at up to 450W so far. That's equivalent to an EVW on 12v. I think FOA may be testing some 600W motors with the Talons. I don't think there will be an issue running EVW's at 24v (950w) with Talons. I spoke with the designer and he said no problem at 24v and that the Talons advertised 100A surge was a very conservative number. I'll be running my Cromwell on Talons this year (equipped with two EVW's). FYI, EVW's at 24v and stalled are pulling in excess of 150 amps so don't stall them if at all possible.
    If your EVW's are unused and a matched pair, I might be interested in acquiring them.

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The EVWs are a matched pair and unused, just been sitting in the shop. Had contemplated using them in a tank, but I am saving money to go to Nats in June, so something might be worked out. Contact me off list.