Brushless upgrade to BC small pump

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Tugboat, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

In the course of making repairs to my BC small pump (impeller fail), I found that one of the brushless motors I have on hand fits the pump!! You will need to fab up a brass impeller or back out the setscrew and ream the shaft hole bigger on your existing impeller (because the shaft is bigger), but that's not too bad :)
    The motor is at: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...oduct=8474 and although it has a 3mm shaft, I will be wrapping a few layers of aluminum tape on the shaft (to get to 3.2mm) and then notching a spot for the setscrew in the metal of the shaft. Commentary from the aircraft guys is that this motor compares most favorably against Speed 400's. I will post a followup after I get the pump reassembled with the new impeller. I will be controlling this motor with a 30A aircraft ESC that is also from Hobbyking. Why aircraft? This is a pump motor, no need to be bidirectional. This makes it cheaper (~$8/each) . I am epoxy-potting it against a nice piece of aluminum to use as a heat sink, and the motor isn't rated for nearly 30A so I shouldn't be stressing the ESC out.
    [​IMG]
    ...and another view. The impeller visible in the pics is a 2-blade impeller, the precursor to the 4-blade impeller that will be in Scharnie in October. It has also occurred to me that if this motor will mate up with a pump made for 380/400-size DC motors, that it will also mate up with a BC 400-size gearbox which is also in Scharnie. If only I had a few 30A car ESCs coming in this week...
    [​IMG]

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Clark, what is the Kv on that outrunner?

3. Tugboat

920kV... I'm running 7.2V batteries, so 6600RPM sounds fine for a pump motor.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

lookin good dude :)

5. Tugboat

Did some testing over the weekend with various motors... I found that my medium-sized 400-size 1900kV motor will turn a full-size pump nicely, although it will trip the over-current trip on the ESC if run up to full power (can run indefinately at 90% of the trip-point). The small brushless pictured above will run all day long on a BC small pump with a 30A ESC. I have a bigger 2100kV 400-size motor (long casing, inrunner, with cooling fins) that I will be testing on my home-made pump for MN Jacques Cousteau (CPOE cruiser). Should throw a lot of water!

Also, found 5mm collars that are usually used in RC helis; Brian K bought some large 550-size brushless motors (5mm shaft) that he plans to cast a pump impeller for, using the 5mm collars. I'll post updates as we get them.

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

lookin forwards to seeing it!