bulkheads

Discussion in 'Construction' started by HMTOlympic, Jun 14, 2012.

1. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

are water tight bulkheads allowed? Im thinking of adding bulkheads to my ship that have doors so when she takes on water i can close the doors and beach the ship before she goes under. i will not use them as a way to stay afloat longer in battle just as a means of making the ship recovery easier.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

nope
    water must flow unimpeded

also, beaching a ship isn't much fun, watching them sink is

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Not to mention most clubs have penalties for beaching a ship to prevent a sink.

4. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

well for me beaching the ship is the best option, im not that good of a swimmer to recover my ship in deep waters

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That's why you find someone like me, who is a good swimmer, to recover your ship. Most clubs have a few people who enjoy recovering sunken ships, and would gladly do it for you.

6. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

And we also try to battle in ponds that are only a few feet deep. We're not in ponds that are 50 feet deep, and sometimes we're lucky enough to have a pond that's only a couple of feet deep at its deepest.

In general, the object is for the ship to be able to sink but be easily recovered and sustain little in the way of major damage. The rules in all of the rulesets basically say "hey, you need to make it such that your ship can accept fire from other ships and that it will sink" and "we're based off of real ships in x time period, usually 190x to 194x, and we're aiming to be safe, so no firecrackers, explosives, etc".

7. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

How about a airbag system to re-float a ship, using the co2 system? Would that be possible provided the air bags its not damaged in battle.

8. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Similar things have been discussed, and I believe the conclusion was possible, but difficult. Such a system would likely use ballast tanks, possibly pre made.