Calling all Bismarck fans..

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by glaizilla, Jun 16, 2013.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

The Midwest Naval Combat Club has decided to utilize the Big gun internals from the 1/144 USS United States into a 1/96 Scale HMS HOOD, and would like to do battle against its historic nemisis the Bismarck. Having scaned some of the older postings, it would seem that more than one person would have liked to have built a battlestations Bismarck in the past, if there is still enough of a following, perhaps the Bismarck could be built and attend next years first ever Battlestations Nats hosted by the Midwest Naval Combat Club, any takers?..o_O

2. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

are u nuts :)
    nikki

3. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

No more crazy than the individuals whom can cram the same amount of big gun technology into the same boat only 1.5 times smaller. I think Tug was going to build a Tirpitz a while back, maybe some of his battle buddies can help him out in his neck of the woods, who knows maybe with all the interest the Denmark straits event in Treaty gets, a Denmark straits in battestations is only a matter of time.

4. NASAAN101

Matt,
    I was the first one to say that to Mikey, that would be cool!!! That way we have two in both 144th and 96 scale..Also, something to rap your heads around this, Bismarck will be 8.5-feet long and will maxed out at 128lbs. Prinz will be 7-feet long and will maxed out at 50lbs. Hood will be 8-feet and 11-inches and and will maxed out at 114lbs. Prince will be 7feet 9inces and will maxed out at 106lbs..
    Nikki

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Tug still has some of the ribs floating around in the shop, but he is NOT building a 1/96 Tirpitz. I have a 1/96 baltimore hull suspended overhead in the shop to remind me that I am mortal. It's huge by itself.

6. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Tug's Baltimore hull is impressively large. I can't imagine building a Tirpitz (huuuuge) as much as I'd like to, it just won't fit in a Cobalt :(. Besides, I'd rather build a SMS Brandenburg if I ever get a chance to do something for Battlestations (probably around the time Strike starts offering prefabbed cannons).

7. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I love the Brandenburgs, was going to be my first build in Battle-stations. The Hood is being designed to separate into to pieces, which should make transporting it easier, I have been talking with a fellow who has a deans marine 1/96 KGV Hull, and I have enough Big gun cannons to now arm all four of the Denmark straights ships. The Hood is my Favorite of the four, somehow it was chosen to be built first. With a Fiberglass hull available for the other Brit, looks like the limey's are pulling ahead in the new Battlestations arms race, perhaps Tug would want to aid his valuable knowlage of construction to help the Axis war machine catch up..

8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

does any body have 96th scale plans for the Tripitz?

9. Tugboat

I used a xerox machine to scale up the frames drawing from the AotS:Bismarck book to 1/96. It's HUGE.

10. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I have a set that I have been working on, I use 1/144 scale plans, and extrapolate my own ribs where I want them (usually evenly spaced) and then take the plan set to Fedex, have them scan the original, and print at 150 percent.

11. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

i wouldnt mind getting a hull started if someone provided a set of drawings.....

12. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

potential i could create a mold and pull a couple fiberglass hulls for those willing.......

13. Tugboat

That'd be a nightmare to ship! :)

14. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

not neccisarily. i ship boxes in similiar form here at work all the time. and with corporate discounted rates, its not to expensive either.

15. NASAAN101

Hey guys,
    If we were to do this(Denmark starits) battle in battlestations, Something you might went to rap your heads around, and I"m not trying to scare people off with this! DKM Bismarck will be 8.5-feet long and will maxed out at 128lbs. My Little DMK Prinz Eugen will be 7-feet long and will maxed out at 50lbs. HMS Hood will be 8-feet and 11-inches and and will maxed out at 114lbs. HMS Prince of wales will be 7feet 9inces and will maxed out at 106lbs.. so Bismarck will be the heavy weight out of the four ships!! But just thing about the idea of the DS Battle in Battle stations would be down right neat!!! and during Displace it would allow to a chance to see more details then on the 144th scale ships!!
    Nikki

16. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Very interesting, I would undoubtedly buy a fiberglass Bismarck hull in Battlestations, were one available. With Mark having the Hood laser cut, and the POW having been purchased from deans marine, I have been kicking around the idea of a 96 scale Prinze Eugan to beat on with the two big Brits, until a Bismarck is built.

17. NASAAN101

Matt,
    I have plans and I was going to talk to mom, about me building her. when I say her I mean little prinz. :)
    Nikki

18. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

any body have a set or link to a set of ribs in 1/96th scale?

19. Tugboat

I think I have a drawing from the intarwebz at home, Let you know in a couple of hours. I'll have to scale it and it'll be a little fuzzy (since it's likely around 1/200) but useable.

20. Tugboat

Sorry, don't have Bismarck frames drawing that is open-source :(