Calling you laser-kit makers...and Bob Pottle

Discussion in 'Construction' started by irnuke, Aug 25, 2014.

1. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Hey guys,
    I'm putting together the "supplier" page for the IRC prototype website. Do you guys want to be listed as sources for hulls? If so, reply to this thread with info &/or a link.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

That is fine by me.

Current ship kits, I can have them cut and drop shipped so they are not instant gratification items. Group buys are discounted by as much as I get a discount from the laser cutter

Current kits
    Littorio - Hull & rudder mounting brackets, all wood. Rudder setup parts list for easy duplication of 3 rudder arrangement -IRC legal
    Mackensen - Hull - Superstructure - rudder mounting brackets, all wood -Not IRC legal except under local rules for hypotheticals/laid down never completed
    Provence - Coming this fall/Winter - IRC legal, Special IRC/MWCI casemate rules should be met by kit, Wood kit including superstructure, mount points for motors, pump, rudders, rudder setup designed in with parts list to build

Greg McFadden
    Contact via RCNC PM is best for a published contact as it cuts down on the spam

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Greg, do you have a webpage or pdf link? I don't want a "wall of text" on the link page, but I also don't want to short-change you guys.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I do not. I just have the two current kits and one in design, I may get them set up thru stephen at some point.

5. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I wonder if we could get the SCRAP site to add a section for the laser-cut kits at http://www.scrapcombatships.com/hulls.html.

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Bob here. I've sold most of the hull moulds I've made for the hobby due to lack of a suitable place to mould hulls and lack of time to produce more than a few per year.
    Battlers Connection bought my mould for the Z23 many years ago. Strike Models has the moulds I made for Vanguard, Hood, Courageous, Furious, Kent, Canarias, Espana, Black Prince/Warrior (ACs), Abercrombie/Roberts (WWII monitors), Gorgon/Glatton (WWI monitors), and Sri Ayuthia (Siamese gunboat/'pocket heavy cruiser). Earlier this year I donated the hull plug for Profintern/Krasni Krim (Russian CL) to Strike Models and have heard the hull will be in production soon.
    The only moulds I have left are for the HMAS/HMS Albatross, a seaplane carrier (Class 1 gunboat/other) and later a fleet repair ship (i.e. convoy model), and for the I-400 Class subs. Both moulds are for sale.
    I'm continuing to make hull plugs for RC naval combat - the Frobisher Class heavy cruisers and Java Class light cruisers are the next projects. The third will probably be the predreadnought Imperator Pavel.
    I'm ordering plans for Royal Oak this week. That hull will be suitable for HMS Ramillies and Royal Oak - those two ships had larger/higher bulges than the other 3 R Class battleships - but the mould won't be done until 2016 . I'd like to do a WWII hull for Renown or Repulse but their bulges and armour belts were quite different and the hull could only be used for one or the other. Not good competition potential in fast gun but they would be lovely models for those who like the ships and are more into having fun than sinking opponents.
    I plan to retire from full time work within 2 years and am putting the finishing touches on a large workshop at our cottage, where I'll be for about 6 months per year. The workshop is suitable for fibreglass work so I'll be back into model hull production with a new selection of ships. I'll probably specialize in smaller ships like light cruisers, most of which could be shipped relatively cheaply by Canada Post air mail. I'm looking at plans for a couple of Spanish CLs that can be used as Axis or Allied ships (one being the Navarra) and at the Dutch De Ruyter.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Hey Bob P. What happened to the round bulge QE mold you had?

8. Bob Pottle

Hi Bob,
    I've never made a mould for the QE Class. You may be thinking of the first QE hull Ralph Coles made. It had a non-scale rounded bulge to allow easier sheeting and he sold quite a few. I used one for my HMS Warspite, though I reduced the number of casemates and made the forecastle deck wider to reflect the changes made when Warspite was rebuilt. The turrets Ralph sold with his QE hulls were made from my mould, which is now worn out.
    Ralph has since made another, and very accurate, QE hull but it's only suitable for the QE and Valiant post-rebuild. The bulge shape is accurate but due to its two steps really needs one more stringer than IRCWCC rules allow to make sheeting easier. Ralph loaned me the mould to make a QE hull a couple of years ago but I decided to build HMS Rodney instead, having been given one of those hulls for building the wooden keel and frames for Ralph's Nelson/Rodney hull plug.

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

As I read that you now have the old QE mold with the rounded bulges and casements. Is that right?
    Or did he loan you the new mold?
    I've been trying to track down the old QE mold, there's always people asking where they can get that hull.

10. Bob Pottle

No, Ralph loaned me his new QE mould, which I gave back to him. He probably still has the first one with the rounded bulges and casemates. You can contact him at ralphster30@hotmail.com

11. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

12. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Mark, how does your entry look to you?

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Looks fine to me. Thanks