can i find a cheap rc battle ship

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by nick, Mar 18, 2012.

1. nick

nick New Member

I was wondering if i can find a very cheap battle ship with mabe one standard 50 bb gun and need of repair for a couple hundred bucks?I 'm plannig to work this summer and make few hundred probley being a farm hand and im wanting to get into this hobbie but i cant find but one person in missouri and no clubs plese tell me you can find me on face book at rc warship combat.:confused:please help im in merky waters here.

2. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hi Nick,

Welcome to RCNC. I remember talking with you on Facebook. A quick note that we may need to have you change your name, as having a username "nick" and a username "Nick" is likely to cause some database problems.

Like I mentioned on Facebook, it'd be helpful if you told us what type of modeling experience you have, and what equipment you have access to, as well as if you have transportation to a battle site. If you're under 18, you may have a little more difficulty getting a gun. I know Strike Models won't sell to those under 18, and I think Battlers Connection may have a similar policy.

3. nick

nick New Member

well ill have my dad by the guns on strike models then ill pay im back. I live out in the country and knew almost all the questons on the hunters saftey corse most of them was about guns and i work with guns all day doing target practice.Pretty much saying im on of the safet people yo can be arond a gun

4. KeriMorgret

Nick, if you check out the pictures of a 50 BB cannon on Strike models at http://www.strikemodels.com/products/cannon-systems/ you will see that there is not much in common with hunting firearms.
    I strongly suggest that you do try to make contact with the other people in Missouri, and see if you can make even one day of the event in May. It is very helpful to see an actual ship in action, try your hand at battling, to get both you and your parents an idea of what you are getting involved with, make sure that this is something where you want to spend your time and money, and learn how to do it safely.
    Please let me emphasize the purchase requirements of both Battler's Connection and Strike Models. They both state:
    Strike Models/Battlers Connection prohibits use of its cannon products and accessories FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE than that of R/C model warship combat under the safety, construction, and battling boundaries of MWCI and of NAMBA and/or its affiliated model warship combat groups. Strike Models specifically prohibits the use of ANY of its cannons or parts in any radio controlled aircraft or land surface model (car, truck, tank, etc.), or in any floating model not specifically constructed to comply with nationally recognized R/C warship combat rules.
    Strike Models/Battlers Connection authorizes its cannon products and accessories be sold to and used only by persons 18 years of age or older. Direct parental or legal guardian supervision is required for anyone under the age of 18 during any and all aspects of ship construction and participation in the hobby of R/C model warship combat.
    Restated: if you want to purchase from Battlers or Strike, you need to have direct supervision from your parent and to get involved in one of the national groups.

5. daemond6

daemond6 Member

Safe around a gun maybe, obviously not around a keyboard with the English language...

As Keri said, Strike and BC probably won't ship their cannons out to the middle of missouri if they know that it will be used by a minor without supervision (purchased by an adult or not) outside of the hobby they where designed to be used in, and the legal protection the governing body offers its registered members.

You're better off trying to find the nearest club and then attending their next meet (even if its out of state) with whichever parent/guardian will be supervising you, before you go and buy anything.

6. nick

nick New Member

guess ill have to wait till im 18 to move out of state to get to a club besides i was going to join a club but really cant.

7. KeriMorgret

Nick, I'm guessing that you haven't viewed my profile or viewed the About Us for Strike Models. I am the president of Strike Models, and am aware of all of the orders that come in. My husband and I are concerned that you are not appearing to listen to the advice from experienced people on this forum and on Facebook, and appear to want to try to circumvent rules so you can join this hobby.

Even if you had the money, we do not feel comfortable selling you cannons at this point.

Please consider the advice you are being given by others online. Get a parent involved, go and see a battle, run a ship, learn what you are getting into. We're here to help, but we will not help you get into a situation we feel may be harmful to yourself or others.

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Here's the deal Nick, You've made this fairly clear - you're broke. You're also young, and still live under your parent's roof, and you've also made clear that this is not a hobby your parents are currently willing to support.
    So: Build a ship from scratch. It doesnt cost much to build a wood hull, there are free plans on this site for ships, from transports to battleships. You'll learn alot just building the hull. While you build it, post pictures, engage people in ways that don't come across as 'hey look at me, me me me me', after you get your hull going, you can start to acquire simple things, like a radio system for it, and a drivetrain. You can put together a cargo ship for under $100 if you do a lot by hand - in the process you might convince your parents that this is something you're really in to.

This is a long-term hobby, there is virtually no happiness to be found in it by rushing and trying to do something you can't. I borrowed a ship for 2 years because I couldn't afford to buy one outright when I started, and it took me another year to get my ship built.

9. ISPIRIT99

ISPIRIT99 New Member

I have to say Nick that you are getting some very good advice from these folks. I am an RC Airplane guy [ just looking into the Ship hobby ]. I can't tell you how many times we have cautioned new guys [ both young and old ] about the dangers involving the electric, fuel and big gas motors we use on our planes. I also know a few of them who are no longer in the hobby and also are missing part of or all of a finger or worse. Take the advice given. Learn the basics, learn to build and learn the rules. You are young and invincible [ in your mind ] but there are things that can happen in a flash that you can't take back EVER! Do yourself a favor, listen and learn from those who are trying to help you. Don't loose interest in the hobby, just learn to respect and enjoy it the right way. Not a sermon, just a thought.