Cannon Depression Servo

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Cannonman, May 31, 2008.

1. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

What is everyones recommendation on a servo to use for cannon depression? Do the micro or super micro servos have enough torque to do the job? Will the smaller servos generate too much heat if required to hold the depression for a long period of time?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

On ships with big barbettes, it's a good idea to use a standard-size servo. French quad turrets, etc. do fine with standard-size servos. On ships with less room, the best servo to use is the HS-81MG (or the Futaba equivalent). It's a micro servo with metal gears and lots of torque. It's a little bit on the expensive side, but it is THE depression servo of choice in the WWCC.

3. Cannonman

Thanks Kotori, standard size it is. I'm assuming then that unless there are space constraints elsewhere, I can use the same servo for everything on the Iowa class then? Trying to keep replacement parts inventory low!!

What are your feelings on servo sizes for the Emile Bertin?

4. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I like a sub-micro, but I do have a ship with standard elevation servos. If barrels are scale height, there can be a shortage of vertical space between them & magazine tops. I always use metal gears, too. Firing can put quite a stress on the gears & I stripped some before switching to metal. I've had really good luck with Hitech & Hobbico, including excellent water resistance as built (which can be important, too!). I don't know models off-hand; I can run out to the shop & check if you want to know details.

JM

5. Cannonman

Thanks John,

If you get a chance, I would like to know what the #s are on what you are using. Not sure what I'll end up with at this point, but now that I double check, I may be a little squeezed for space.

6. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Hobbico CS-35MG is what I have on a couple of ships. I'm pretty sure there's a comparable Hitec, too. The only thing I have that has Hitec right now for depression has standard size. I think I just stuck with the Hobbico because they've been working for me very well for a long time, but I honestly can't remember for sure.

JM

7. Cannonman

OK Thanks again John!!![:)]