Carriers?

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Just a quick question to throw out there while I'm on break; it's inspired by some of the threads in other clubs' forums.

When building a carrier, where does the penetrable area of the hull stop? Some carriers were converted from other combatants, and have hull/superstructure that extends past the original deck line. Do we say that for conversions, the deck line stays the same and above that is SS? What about for carriers that have exposed works beneath the flight deck, and above the hull proper, at the ends of the ship?

I'm not sure what I think, I'd love to hear from you guys and get something decided in the rules before someone builds a carrier!

2. the frog

the frog Member

We have always used the original 01 level on conversions and the hanger deck on as built carriers. So i would think 3/8 down from the cap rail would start the penetrable area on a conversion and 3/8 down from the lowest hanger deck should work

3. Mark

Mark Active Member

not a 100% sure at what you're asking, but I'll use how I'm constructing Shinano as an example. On the plans it shows the origional deck line (as on the other 2 ships in the class), this is where the cap rail goes, everything above is solid. I think the other clubs do it the same way anything below the hanger deck is at the mercy of the BB's

4. the frog

the frog Member

The cap rail us usually 3/8 deep that is where the penetration starts

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, but in Battlestations, some ships get 1/2" for the caprail!

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

In MBG anything below the sub-deck (cap-rail) was penetrable.
    So in ships that have a deck which is either 3/8", or 1/2" thick, the penetrable probably should just be below the sub-deck, and anything above could be solid.
    Now some carriers had no noticable deck below the flight deck (Ark Royal).
    In this case it would be a shame to make them have penetrable skin all the way up to the flight deck, so perhaps we can do something reasonable with that.
    The Bearn has the bow, and stern deck in place from her original battleship hull before the conversion.
    I would be interested in hearing what others have to say on the subject also.
    Mikey

7. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    I believe the IRCWCC specifies that anything below the hanger deck is penetrable. So for a ship like the Ark Royal, the solid area would start part way up the hull with no decernable border.

(Most)Ships converted from battleships and battlecruisers had their hanger decks on what was the main deck, so these would be unchanged (except for changes in draft due to the removal of armour, turrerts, etc)