Chris's Manual/Auto Pump Switch issue

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by McSpuds, May 20, 2014.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Anybody besides Chris use his bilge pump manual/auto switch board. I am using the one that powers the ESC on and off either by radio or by leads(Auto).

I can not get the ESC to callibrate with the radio channel 6. It is a on/off switch on the radio.

All I have achieved so far is to get the pump to turn a few times then it stops... the auto water sensor does not work either when the leads are connected to each other.

I am sure someplace I have something wrong....

I have two esc's, and the system draws power through the esc for the drive motors. The Viper directions state that if using two esc's only one can have the red wire connected. So one of the esc's has to have the red wire cut. I cut the red wire on the pump lead and left the motor(Drive) esc red wire connected.

The Drive ESC is working fine. The Pump ESC will draw power but is not working properly.

Any Ideas? Carl, I think you use these as well... how is yours connected?

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

What ESC and which radio?

3. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Chris had me do the development (9 versions), and plenty of sinking. The pump auto switch works on the brushless pump and ESC that Chris and I started with, both Hobby King brand. You need to take these things to Nats and have Chris or I trouble shoot them. In general the system is bullet proof but it needs set up by someone who knows (the lone ranger type). The setup has you listening to beeps and boops, bring your stethoscope. For the Auto switch to work properly it needs a proportional or three position switched channel on the Trans.

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

The radio is
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/tactic/tacj2650.html

I have the Viper 40 from Strike.

I will be bringing them to NATS to get help with them.. I am sure it's something I am doing wrong.

5. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

You need to talk to Chris. He and I looked at one problem where if you are using both the pump board and auto switch board the 2 regulators (effectivly in series) did not leave enough current to energize the relay even if all the inputs are correct. He has since integerated the 2 boards into one board. Also Chris has found the sealed version of that relay which should improve reliability a lot.
    Barry

6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Pictures or links to said boards and relays?

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

We think the issue is the ESC, they need a one direction ESC... I will have the switches at NATS and we can look them over then...

8. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

This is the Auto Pump Board, originally desigened to work with Brushless pumps as they are ESC controlled and previous autopumps circuits aren't compatiable. This board is designed to be inline between your RX and the ESC, this allowed it to have an additional function that most autopump circuts don't have and that is manual override. If your radio doesnt have a 3 position switch or equivlent you may need to use the dual rates to control it but it allows for 3 states, ON / AUTO / OFF. AUTO either runs the pump or not depending on the water sensor. ON and OFF disregard the water sensor state and allow for standard ON/OFF style control.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the Auto Pump board for brushed motors. A standard sealed relay is controlled by the same automatic circuity as the previous board allowing for easier use for guys still runing brushed pumps. This board also has manual ON/OFF as well as the AUTO setting identical to the previous circuit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nick Park likes this.
  9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

So... pretty... must touch one...

10. SnipeHunter

That's what I've been saying about your 3D printed pumps.....

;)

11. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Not only are they pretty, they WORK really well. Love mine.

12. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

where do I get one??!!!!

13. SnipeHunter

I typically bring an box of assorted electrical goodies (Firing Boards, Shot Counters, Auto & Regular pump circuits, stuff like that. The selection has been growing as I complete new projects) to events for those that are interested.

These will likely end up being available through Battlers Connection, like the firing boards, but that hasn't been fully worked out yet.

14. Lou

Chris, you planning on wades in the fall? I can image a few sales off-setting your travel cost.

15. SnipeHunter

Dunno, hadn't really been thinking about it one way or the other. I'm currently trying to find a job down south so if that happens in the near future it would be a lot more likely.

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Darth Kessler in Region 3?!?!?! :) Glee!!!!
    ps- just got my printer re-aligned and made you a shiny new pump with a 5-blade impeller.

17. SnipeHunter

Yeah I'm hoping for something NC-ish so I could do Hagerstown & Statesboro events without much trouble.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these masterpieces I keep hearing about!

18. Lou

Throat in region 3?! Fingers crossed that you get a great job down here in the deep, deep south y'all.

19. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

Do you have a circuit diagram of this pump switch? or even just a foto of the back of the circuit and the number of the 8 pin ic?