Cleveland versus Suffren

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, Oct 1, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

As you all know, i am always stuck between 2 ships, and in this case, it is , obviously the USS Cleveland and the FNS Suffren cruisers.
    The Cleveland is 50.67 inches long, and 5.3 inches wide with a max weight of 10.85 lbs. It has 3.0 units, 4 props, 1 rudder and steams at 24 seconds. The great thing about this ship is the ability to be used as a Independence class carrier if i ever wanted to have a convoy ship.
    The Suffren is 53.58 inches long, 5.5 inches wide and weighs in at 11.18 lbs. It too has 3.0 units and steams at 24 seconds, but has 3 props and 2 rudders. The great thing about this ship is the ability to fight as either Allied or Axis. The biggest difference in my eyes is the price, as the Cleveland costs $30 more then the Suffren for a combined Hull Kit and Deck kit. I would like to have a good idea soon, as im 99% sure i will going to Rob's battle in about 2 weeks time. any advice? Thanks

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I would personally go with the Suffren, due soly to the twin rudders. The Washington Cascade Column has a suffren that makes a good showing of itself when it is not having reliability problems.

-Greg

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Ah, Boomer, so many ships, so little time. I bet you're gonna have one huge fleet when you get there....

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I would personally go with the Suffern out of the two due to the twin rudders and better turning ability. Power the center shaft only. :)

I'm curious: why is Rob's battle important for the choice of the ship?

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Suffren = sexy

Cleveland = dirty nasty industrial city

Go Suffren!

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

You just can't beat the twin rudders. Gives you much better steering. Plus in the MWC it has a additional 50% rudder area, not sure if the IRC allows the same or not. And only using one drive system in it will also reduce the cost and weight of the ship.

I helped Don make his Cleveland, and as Mike and I can tell you it is a billboard of a target. At Nats during the cruiser battles it took severe punishment. All of the Axis twin rudder cruisers used it for target practice, since it could not turn very well to boot.

7. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Suffren has 2 things that put it head and shoulders above the cleveland, stepped deck & twin rudders. those 2 advantages will help you in mwc & ircwcc battling. So thats what I would go with if that were my choices.

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Thanks guys, that seems to be a pretty unanimous choice. Rob, when i get there, im going to have one ship, but im not going to regret it for any reason, but maybe after college i can get some more ships and start fighting more. Mike, i want to know by then so that i am not convinced to go another way by Monk. [:0]. Thanks Tug, that really sold it for me, i see the light now, thanks. Ok, thanks guys, it looks like the Suffren will be my very first moving target for IRCWCC members