Clippard solenoid issue

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Kun2112, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I am running 12v clippard solenoids in my Alsace. I just did a pre-battle systems check and they are firing under pressure ( hear them ckicking) but no Gas comes out. I have verified that my CO2 is on.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Voltage after the firing board is 13.2v. Part number is "MME-2PDS-W012 12v"

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

You got me. Perhaps taking them apart and cleaning/lubing them might help. There is little that can go wrong with a solenoid.

Hmm ... a thought comes to mind though. Are you using Delta switches? They have a tendency over time to go bad with the same symptoms you are describing. The transistors on the switch board gradually go bad enough to stop passing enough amperage under load to power the solenoids while under gas pressure. They still click, but not enough power to unseat the port.

4. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I'm using the Strike board. Voltage on the solenoid side of the board is within specs. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pull them out, but I think that is exactly what I will do tomorrow night. I will also measure current draw. I'll see you soon my friend.

5. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting voltage directly to the solenoid to eliminate the board as a possibility? Where did you measure your output? At the board, or at the solenoid? Also, it may be silly, but are you sure there is gas in the tank?

6. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Try reducing the pressure to the solenoid too for troubleshooting. I have one that will not fire at 150 psi, but works fine at 143 psi. Go figure.
    Ron Hunt

7. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

The issue affected all six solenoids. gas was venting when I opened the needle valve so the system was under pressure. They all clicked over when voltage was applied. Initially, I worked on the assumption that the issue was pneumatic in nature as if there was a mechanical issue, only one or two would be effected. Lee D. suggested on the big gun yahoo site that a piece of Teflon tame might be in the system.
    I didn't put the ship on the water Friday and decided to work on it Friday night. After Friday's battling everything worked on all solenoids. Saturday the solenoids worked just fine, but I would go out of control briefly if I bumped into someone. I also lost control without a bump for about 40 seconds. I eventually determined that it was my battery brackets acting as a jumper between two cells was the cause of the issue. I had an intermittent connection and it was dropping voltage just enough that I wouldn't actuate the valves.