Coating Electrical connections

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Powder Monkey, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

[?]

What if any thing does any one use like a petroleum base maybe like Vaseline would that work on the power poles and such? we use that on our light conections for plowing wonder if it would help here ?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused here, Powder Monkey. Your message seems a little fragmented and unclear. Are you trying to coat electrical connectors with oil/grease/etc to prevent them from corroding? I have no experience in that regard, then again I also have never had a connector get rusty, even after extended immersions.

3. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Powder, I've never coated my connections. (1982 to present) But hold on, let me clear my throat. Then again, I've never been sunk. ;)

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I've never used anything in the boats... just replaced them as they looked corroded.

at work we use this on all electrical connections, and it works great. provides better electrical connections on bus bars and lugs but does not short if a glob of it is on hot and chassis ground. 1/16" length of nyogel passed a 1500V highpot test (no measurable current higher than ~1microamp) .

http://www.nyelubricants.com/pdf/760g.pdf

5. Powder Monkey

yea I wouldn’t figure you would admit it Getty [;)] I will bring my camera when I visit wit my NJ so I can record history any who I was just thinking my plow connections lasted forever my ship looks sad after just two sinks but didn’t think any one protected them just a thought

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

What does the reference to plow/plowing mean?

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

LOL Powder, check out the rumble at Ravenna video on youtube. Bob sinks right after Strasbourg sinks!

I'd probably like to forget about being sunk by a Frenchy as well!

8. Powder Monkey

Opps forgot I live in New England and drive a plow truck in the winter conditions get pretty Sh%$y out there in the height of the storm and for days on after and I have to say my 10 year old conections are as clean as a new born and well that got my gears turning [:p]

9. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

I generally coat exposed electrical anything as best I can with 3M Skotchkote. The stuff I don't coat is gold plated connectors available from RC-Dymond. And those don't corrode, or at least haven't so far. I spray CorrosionX or 2-26 on other metal connectors from time to time.

What you are suggesting might work in good conditions, but a combat model is in some ways a more hostile environment than a plow truck. The Plow truck doesn't get it's engine compartment constantly rearranged causing the coating to get smeared everywhere for one. :) hehe But that is an interesting idea. A light coating here and there wouldn't be too messy. That Nyogel sounds kinda interesting.