Video Conversion of old Vidoes to DVD

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by CURT, Jan 29, 2014.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well finally hooked up the DVD converter to convert all of my VHS videos to DVD format. I tested it on a master video of our fleet back in 1991 here in our city park. Our fleet was fresh and all made entirely out of Balsa wood. The fleet in the video consisted of the cruisers HMS Exeter, USS Indianapolis, IJN Myoko, IJN Aoba, and The Graf Spee. Graf Spee was our first entry into this sport hobby and the only one at the time to be full equipped with working bb cannons and a bilge pump. Speeds then were very slow in comparision more like treaty or BG speeds.We were running small SLA's and radio shack small motors and plastic 2 bladed Octura propellers held to the drive shaft with bus wire. Yeah we were extremely limited in what we could obtain and afford at the time and our skills were barely noticable. The first DVD was successfully recorded last night and I played it back on our 50 in TV. It turned out well. I need to edit it and get it ready for Youtube but I have many many more to do. .
    I hope to find most of the recored Nabs battles in Nova Scotia, and events from Pei and places and the hobby shows that Nabs had displayed at. So lots of work ahead but I am really excited to see the videos and the people and ships . Hope I can clean them up and get them to my You tube channel .When they are ready and posted I will let you guys know.
    :)

2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

What kind of converter did you get and how well did you like it - was it easy to use, etc?

Wondering,
    Chris

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hi Chris I am using the Roxio VHS to DVD converter software. So far I was able to covert 2 tapes but I also had 2 of my tapes chewed up by the vcrs. Also for some reason the software has trouble reading my recordable DVD's which it did read my previous 2 so I don't know if that is a software issue. So I am not sure if the Roxio system is a good system or not. I have more tapes to use and I have another VCR.. I tried a S cable as recommended for higher quality but I was getting no video signal from the vcr through it. So I am having issues so far. Will be back at it again this evening. I did record one of the local Nabs battles I think it was in 2000 betweem my old Bismarck, Warspite
    ,Mississipi, Nagato, Lutzow, and Alabama. Alabama was finished off by Bismarck.

Curt

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well have after a couple more tapes chewed up I decided to go get me a new VCR with dvd player. Hooked it up and now it's working like a charm.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well it was proceeding well when I was having an issue with the video imput on the computer screen . I tried tapes that did work through it and nothing but a green screen, which is the first time I saw this color screen. I shut down the vcr the , software for it and the computer. When I turned it on this morning well the computer will not boot up what so ever. The motherboard is getting power ,the fans are working , the monitor works. The computer is just not booting up. This computer is only 18mths old. It just passed it's expriation date. I will have to get it checked into to see what happened. I think the soft ware to allow the computer to self boot after turning the power on crapped out. If that is the case maybe it's a matter of getting new software. If this is going to cost me more than 200.00 I will just get another computer. I had about 20 VHS tapes converted with Nabs battles, Modelshows and events on it. Most are in decent viewing condition.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well good news. I have a new computer and currently operating from it. I just finished uploading the program to convert the videos to Dvd. My last computer after 18 months of use died .Luckily I had a warranty and since it was too costly to repair it they let me get another computer at no charge. I was about half way through the video library before everything went south.

7. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

do you got it uploaded???