cruiser motors: 1 or 2

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by crzyhawk, Jul 24, 2008.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

What's the recommendation for cruiser motors, 1 or 2. I know that powering each shaft allows for some redundancy should one of the props get fouled, but what are some of the other pros/cons of the two choices?

Does one motor driving two shafts use more or less power then one motor per shaft?

I'm looking at powering the two inner shafts on my Salt Lake City with one motor to save some weight and hopefully power, so I'm really looking at what the drawbacks for this set up would be.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Have you checked out BCs gearboxes yet? That might provide some useful information. I believe that 1 motor, 2 shafts will simplify controls, but at the cost of redundancy(or lack there of). Best of luck mike

3. crzyhawk

yep, I'm aware of what BC has, that's the box I'd probably use. I'm interested in what people's opinion is of that set up, since I've never run it myself.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

HMAS Australia runs two props from one 550-size motor. I did this based on never having been too slow, always needing to slow down :) One 550 should move your cruiser just fine, and (in rule sets that limit pump motor size to no bigger than drive) allows a larger pump motor as a bonus (vice running two 400's for drive).

5. crzyhawk

yeah I'll definately have to keep that in mind. I want to come down and battle with the MWC region 3 guys sometime, so that's definately a rule I'll have to keep in mind as being different.