Cruiser weight question

Discussion in 'Construction' started by warhawk, Jan 4, 2011.

1. warhawk

warhawk New Member

I am starting my first ship this weekend but already thinking ahead to decking and super structure.( Baltimore class)
    Thinking of doing it in1/4" Birch or Oak plywood. Both are pretty cheap at Lowes. But looking at 10.5 pounds want to make sure I won't go over that.
    Do most of you have to add weight to your ships or trim them down to get the right weight?

I know I will have to expoy the wood to keep if from rotting. But if weight could be a problem I will need to change and do some plastic top.
    I like plywood because I have worked with it before and know I can get the look I want.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

As an alternative material for the superstructure, you may want to look at the dense closed-cell foams. Harbor Freight sells a foam matting for industrial areas that is the perfect thickness and works great. I've heard that some of the children's foam blocks from Toys-R-Us work ok too.

3. warhawk

warhawk New Member

Thanks for that info I will check out harbor today.

I was looking at some scrap last night and i think 1/4" is to thick so that won't work. I will have to look for some place that sells 1/8"