Deck Fasteners

Discussion in 'Construction' started by McSpuds, Nov 28, 2013.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Because I always make my decks where the lids set into the deck, I have a nice inside edge to place some inserts for thumb screws.
    Here is how I make and install the deck fasteners. It's a easy way to make some nice thumb screws to hold down your deck lids.
    I use 6-32 size bolts, knobs, and inserts. I also only use brass because the steel stuff will rust over time.... plus I need to solder the parts.....
    The parts can be found at most hardware stores. I have found that Home Depot does not carry the thumb knobs, or the inserts. I can get all of the items at Lowes.
    For each fastener you will need a thumb knob, screw, and a insert.
    [​IMG]

Depending on the thickness of the deck lid, you will need to cut the bolt down a little. I cut the bolt leaving the head on it... may be able to use it for something later on...
    [​IMG]

I then add flux to the end of the bolt and run the bolt into the thumb knob. I use a vise to hold the parts as I solder....
    [​IMG]

Apply the heat and solder to the top of the knob..... My two young captains are learning how to solder today!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They didn't do too bad.. I normally leave a nice pool og solder on the top as it looks cleaner....
    [​IMG]

Now to attach the inserts.... You will of course need two sizes of drill bits, one for the deck lid and a larger one for the insert going into the subdeck...
    [​IMG]

I mark my spots in the corners and if the deck is long I add a couple in the middle.
    [​IMG]

Then I place the deck on the ship and drill all the way through with the smaller bit....
    [​IMG]

This way all the holes will line up nicely...
    [​IMG]

Then go back and drill out the subdeck with the larger bit to accommodate the insert.
    [​IMG]

Now for the inserts... you will first try to use them as they are designed.... to use a screw driver in the slotted end and "screw" the insert into the hole... I find that 90% of the time the slots will break.... so instead of using a screwdriver, I just use the new thumb screws I made...
    [​IMG]

I run the insert onto the thumb screw backwards because I no longer need that slotted end... so I run it into the wood first leaving a nice end for the top...
    [​IMG]

I start the insert and then apply a generous amount of that sticky crap they call CA Glue...
    [​IMG]

I then run the insert into the hole... sometimes a little force is needed...
    [​IMG]

When the thumb screw sits on the deck, stop and wait a few till the glue dries...
    [​IMG]

Then back out the thumb screw.....
    [​IMG]

I sand the top a little....
    [​IMG]

and tada..... a nice threaded thumb screw and insert... looks good on the deck as well.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

almost forgot... I also round the ends just a little so they will line up easy into the inserts....
    [​IMG]

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Looks good, I do something similar, but with tee-nuts instead of the brass inserts, and i use machine screws with wingnuts, soldered together for the screw. They dont look as pretty as yours, but they cost a lot less per and I can back them out and put them in with a little ryobi driver I keep in the pond bag, and I canstill easily work them by hand thanks to the wingnuts.

Have you compared the cost of assembling a thumb screw this way vs just buying a thumb screw off the shelf? (such as http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Knurled...B005RTF27U )

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I use plastic screen door fasteners :)

4. Tanaaris

Tanaaris Active Member

Nice guide!
    No later than yesterday I was roaming the fastener section of my home depot to get bright idea on how to attach my deck on my first boat. While the first cut is not made I wanted to plan ahead and have enough material to support it.

Up to reading you, I had to option:
    -cabinet door magnet (which I did not particularly liked)
    -steel insert (that you have to hammer in..) and regular screw. Did not liked the risk of breaking the subdeck during the insertion process, and the requirement of a tool to attach the deck pond side.

You just gave me a much better alternative!

5. Tugboat

My only issue with those very nice looking fasteners is that it takes more time to get a section open. Not critical when doing maintenance, but if there's smoke coming from inside...

6. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Been there, done that... :woot:

At IRCWCC Spring regionals in 2002, for my QE2, I was using a clear Otter box for my receiver and other water sensitive items like the gun/poppet firing.. (no kips in that ship). I was having control issues so pulled it to the side and opened up the ship... I couldn't see any of the internal stuff inside the otterbox because it was grey.... :whistling: Yep, like a dumbass, I had to "pop" the lid on the otterbox... :doze: yep, when combustible material that has a heat source, finally gets a good supply of air... bad things happen!:confused:o_O Carl M saved me that day by loaning me a couple of servos to replace what I lost in the box. He also gave me a nice new toy that I still use today... A bilge pump that kicks butt! Too bad Carl didn't have any spare eyebrows, I could have used them too! :crying:

7. Tugboat

OMG hahaha :)

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yep, that was a bad day at the pond. It was at Greenbriar and the tents are on the top of a small hill by the pond.. Captains that saw it from the tent said it looked like a mini Baker Test! :cry:
    I think about that incident every time I open up a otter box.. I am permanently mentally scared for life.. sorta like PSD! :woot:

9. Tugboat

Get a kitten. Kittens very helpful with PTSD.

I had a 'dry' box fail me once, and have never used one since. It also lets me grab burning hot electronics more easily :) What are a few burns in the course of a battle? :)

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

What do you use to waterproof the reciever?

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I don't know what Tug uses, but its probably the same as me: Skotchkote. Lots and lots of wonderful gooey, stinky, Skotchkote.

12. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I will have to check this stinky stuff out...:blink:

13. Tugboat

I actually epoxy pot my receivers with West. Works really well on ESCs too. I have a can of Skotchkote that gets used on servos.

14. tgdavies

tgdavies Active Member

I also pot my ESCs and receivers with West.

My servos I fill with Baby Oil -- I haven't been doing that long enough to be dogmatic about it, but it has worked for four or five sinks. (that's only a couple of meets for me :)

I still have corrosion problems with my servo leads and where my power cables are soldered into the pins in my EC-2 connectors.