Definitive ships of the Predreadnought Era

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Kotori87, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

This is for all you predreadnought fans out there. The time before February 10, 1906 was a fascinating period of technological development and experimentation. It saw the introduction of modern armor, guns, and torpedoes. Yet it was also a period of stagnation, where ship size only increased slowly, and primary armaments quickly settled upon two twin turrets with large-caliber guns. Naval engagements migrated from hundreds of yards up to thousands of yards, up to ten thousand yards. Ships grew from 10,000 tons (or less) up to a massive 16,000 tons, and armor evolved from wrought or cast iron to compound, then homogenous steel, Harvey steel, and finally Krupp steel.
    The stage is set, now time for the question: If you could build one predreadnought battleship and one armored cruiser from every major naval power (Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Japan, USA), which ships would you choose? In other words, what would you consider to be the definitive battleship and/or armored cruiser for each major naval power?

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Ruirik II from Russia in the Armored Cruiser Catagory.

SMS Blucher

HMS Warrior

USS Tennesse

San Giorgio

Not sure about the French Armored Cruisers. Torn between E. Quinet and E. Renan classes

IJN Tskuba

Too early for most rule sets but the Italian Garibaldi class. Good for Italy, Spain, Japan, Argentina(I think)

For Battleships

HMS Majestic

USS Louisiana

SMS Pommern

Danton class

Potemkin

IJN Katori

Not always the best or most famous, but the ones I am most fond of

3. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I've always had a soft spot for USS Illinois (BB-7).

4. Anachronus

They are nice. The Maines are not bad either.

5. Anachronus

Another that is not the best of class but I have always liked was the St. Louis Class semi-armored cruisers.

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I like the Dantons. I have read someplace that they were among the best of the pre-dreadnaughts. But that is probably due in-part to the fact
    that they were also perhaps the last pre-dreads built. So they probably utilized knowledge gained by all the other earlier ones.
    I also like the Blucher, and Rurik.
    Just because they are cool.
    Mikey

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I am quite partial to the Mikasa, and I also like the Borodino. That one is such an odd design, with its odd tumblehome hull, secondary gun turrets, etc. Forget Space Battleship Yamato, here comes Space Battleship Borodino!

8. Anachronus

YES Space Battleship Borodino! The wave motion gun could fire from the bow torpedo tube!

9. Anachronus

Ruirik(II) and Blucher are two of the best looking armored cruisers.